Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bio-Luminescence??

JohnnyMTB

Saw the weirdest thing in the tank tonight, going through to lock the house up after dark and noticed a "flash" in the tank. Looked almost like a firefly, it just came on and stopped in under a second. Waited about five minutes and saw it again, It had almost a bluish tint to it, turned on the lights, seemed to be coming from a hole in the LR but I couldn't be sure. BTW its Florida Keys live rock. Any clues?? Haven't heard of shrimp doing this, some kind of copopod? Wish I could take a pic, be like trying to photograph a lightning strike. Anyone have any serious ideas?

It's the lights from your VCR flashing and reflecting onto the tank glass. Your tank is telling you to figure it out and set the time on the thing!

Johnny I read something similiar somewhere but I can't remember where... If I'm not wrong it should be some kind of copepod or similiar stuff... Search around... Sorry I'm not of much help... :(

There are some Tunicates that have an electrical pulseation to them, but they are very very uncommon to have in liverock and then again to have them survive trans it and being exposed to air for more than an hour.

ps: Lay off the 'shrooms.... they make ya see things d00d.

When they said try "Shrooms", they meant the ones that grow in dirt........maybe your like John Travolta character is "phenomina" and next thing you know you'll know Japanese and be able to derive Avagoadro's number standing on your head in the shower......

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a type of bristle worm. We found a couple while we were tear down a tank @ a LFS where I work. Too bad the stores all F/W, or I'd be up to my eyeballs in tanks!

Tam

• 5 weeks later...

I had lots of little flashes of light in the sump on my 40g i had several years ago. They were coming from the inside surface of the glass . . .I turned on the lights and it looked like featherdusters everywhere on the glass, very small ones, but at night they would flash occasionally, and If I tapped the glass on the sump they would all go off at once, Was pretty cool, looked like a small bluish green light . . Things like that are what make reef keeping so interesting . . new stuff poping up all the time.

Archived