Cultivated Reef

Thoughts on setup

Cyclo

Im heading down to the LFS tomorrow to buy a setup and heres what I have put together for myself. Any feedback on the good bad and ugly would be appreciated.

Tank will be 10g or 12g bow.

1x96 coralife lighting (is this enough for an anemone down the road?)

~1.5" sand bed

10-12lbs LR

HOB (not sure exactly which yet)

PowerHead (something with 100-120 gph... is this correct?)

Heater (50 or 75)

Salt, Test Kits, Hydrometer, Thermometer

I have a RO unit already

I beleive that is all hopefully I didn't forget anything. I've been looking at a moonlight too but haven't decided on that yet. Mostly I'm worried if my main lighting will be ample.

Thanks for any input.

other than the tank itself (and maybe the LR), you might want to price everything else online. you should end up saving a fair amount of $$$.

it's best to cherry-pick the rock if you can or re-shape them to conform your desired look first. imo the aquascape and desired livestock will determine the lighting needed. note that the 96W's light is offset from the bulb's base vs. VHO or opposing PC's. don't get rushed into a lighting system that you can wait a month on. examine the light and how/where it shines inside the tank. shadows or dimmer corners that develop later on will constrain how and where you place your corals.

the new CSL PC's have a integrated 1-watt moonlight and look pretty slick. they (CSL) seem to have changed all their hoods and stuff lately(?).

the lfs will most likely still get your livestock biz so they should still be happy.

try some of these:

championlighting.com

petsolutions.com

customaquatic.com

hellolights.com

good luck!

Archived