Top Shelf Aquatics

Byropsis eating slug found?

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

So I found this thread:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/i-may-ha...psis-59163.html

was curious, b/c I have some I bred. (Well they bred by themselves). No on wants to try it though I guess there, I offered but no one wanted it b/c it is too hard to find or something like that. I know they eat algae, and don't eat snails. That is all I guarantee. Don't know if they would eat coral, or even byropsis. Won't allow it in my tanks. So you want to be a guniea pig? You cover shipping, or local pick up and they are free. Local pick up tonight would be perfect, I have one in a breeder net right now. I think once I put him back in the tank I will have to wait and get lucky to spot him again.

johnmaloney

bumping this thread above my other thread. sorry fellow sponsors, but I had the two top anyway, just want to change the shuffle.

johnmaloney

like $30 for overnight. a lot for an experiment. Wish I could just test it here, but I don't have any room for my experiment tanks anymore, just my hitcher tank is isolated.

Dosing Kent brand Mg and getting to a level of 1500+ Mg will kill off bryopsis. I have yet to hear of any slug that eats it. i've had sea hares and lettuce nudis myself, neither will eat bryopsis and oly touch trimmed HA. That said, the pics almost look like lettuce nudis to me.

johnmaloney
Dosing Kent brand Mg and getting to a level of 1500+ Mg will kill off bryopsis. I have yet to hear of any slug that eats it. i've had sea hares and lettuce nudis myself, neither will eat bryopsis and oly touch trimmed HA. That said, the pics almost look like lettuce nudis to me.

+1 to mag for byropsis pennata, any mag will do, some people use epsom salt. Other species of byropsis (like 10 in florida alone, 30 or so around the world) seem resistant. Pennata and plumosa seem to dominate though. Different species of slug from the lettuce nudi which yeah won't eat it. There are a few thousand species of nudibranch out there, most of them look like that, but this one is definitely not a lettuce nudi.

Tried the Kent Mg thing. It definitely impacts the bryopsis and reduces the quantity by 80-90%. However, after 2 months of Mg above 1600, the stuff just slowly comes back after the Mg is returned to normal.

I even pulled the rock out and used a blow torch on the live rock. After 4-6 weeks, it started to come back.

The only thing I found that seemed to work was to "cook" the rock in total darkness with high Mg salt water (1600-1800 ppm) for 6-8 weeks.

Bryopsis SUXS!

johnmaloney

oh that will work for sure. :) you can kill dinos that way too. Spores cna stay dormant up to a year though... Why not just remove it when you get it down to 10%?

• 2 months later...
johnmaloney

it did work, they don't eat much though and are pretty small. i think for a large outbreak it wouldn't be a solution, but the experiment worked. they no doubt in my mind will eat some byropsis. hmm...maybe try a ragged sea hare next, they do great on red turf algae I found out. Found some dictyota eaters too. I am not trying them out in a reef tank, (the hare is safe, not sure about the large spider decorator), so there is the warning for anyone, not sure about their safety yet or anything.

Archived