SaltCritters.com

mini cooling fan

WillyWonka

Hey, i'm looking for a mini cooling fan to help ventilate my canopy. i've been checking out computer fans but they have a special socket to power the fan. help please.

second2n0ne
Quote: from HuBu on 11:57 pm on June 25, 2002[br]target. someone here can show you how to wire a pc fan. just make sure its blowing air in not suck the air out.

Actually, if it is your only fan, I would have it draw air out.  Make sure you have an opening on the opposite side of the fan or a second fan drawing air in to make sure there is good air flow.  Fans work more efficiently in this configuration.  Also, use fans that have ball bearings and not brushes.  These fans will last longer and can be lubricated when they become noisy.

actually i read in a post on this forum about sw water vapor messing up the fan if its blown thru the gear. it would rust the gear much faster. the way i have my set up is that theres 2 openings. i put the clip on fan by one opening and have it blowing air into the canopy and the air would go out the other opening. and it has greatly lower the temp of my tank efficiently.

Lunchbucket

radio shack has some great fans taht come in tiny to large sizes.  they have variable voltage ac/dc converters so you can run them on a wall outlet and you can control the speed.

i would blow in and have a vent at the other side or the back to move air better

Lunchbucket

New Idea!

heat rises and cold sinks right? Well wouldnt it be wiser, if possible, to mount a large exhaust fan directly ON TOP of the hood sucking heat out, and having ducts with small fast fans blowing directly onto the water, so there is a heat cycle thing going on? I know this may sound heaps crazy, but I reckon it might make some sense! Maybe mounting the "exhaust" fan directly on top of the lights and then having the ducted fans blowing under the light and above the water surface? Or maybe having car air conditoning ducts mounted on top of the hood for continous heat exchange?

I'm in a crazy mood, please excuse me.

Don

LOL, even crazier Idea, creating the cooling ducts to have a compartment that will make contact with the air, to put ice cubes in?

Lunchbucket

great idea but i really doubt that you would need that much cooling...specially in a nano!!!  i would say overkill but it is a good idea.

if you put one fan on the water surface that usually cools it enough as it is....so you wouldn't need the exhaust fan.

Lunchbucket

Archived