SaltCritters.com

Tunze 9002 big enough?

Emilio84

So I am trying to finish up my sump for my drilled ap24 and want to incorporate the Tunze 9002 skimmer into the setup. Is this skimmer too small? For a tank this size do I really need a skimmer? Also, how much clearance is required to remove the collection cup? The whole reason I am considering the 9002 is due to the lack of height in my stand. I have a total of about 17-18in of height before I hit a shelf.

Tanque Verde
For a tank this size do I really need a skimmer?

Depends on your bioload and your other means of filtration, but I am glad I have a skimmer on my AP24. Is it not an option to put a skimmer in or hang a skimmer on your sump?

chironerd21

Its not just the cup height, but the tube that is an extension of the cup down to the reaction chamber... are you saying you got 18 inches total or its 18 inches from your sump to the top?

Also the Tunze 9002 will be sufficent for your set up.. its rated up to 52 gallons for LPS/softies or 26 gallons for SPS....and in between for mixed reef...

Depends on your bioload and your other means of filtration, but I am glad I have a skimmer on my AP24. Is it not an option to put a skimmer in or hang a skimmer on your sump?

Removed the false wall and drilled the tank so I can't (or rather won't) put the skimmer in the display. It would be going into the sump..

Its not just the cup height, but the tube that is an extension of the cup down to the reaction chamber... are you saying you got 18 inches total or its 18 inches from your sump to the top?

I have 18in total from the floor of the tank to the drawer. Potentially I could just remove the one drawer and just have the face of the drawer permanently attached.. that would give me atleast another 12 in.

Tanque Verde

How deep is your sump? According to Marine Depot, the 9002 has an immersion depth of 7-8.6 inches. If I understand that correctly, the height of your sump will determine the height range of your tunze, which will in turn affect your cup height.

So, for example, if your sump is 12" high, and you immerse to the maximum depth of 8.6 inches, the bottom of your tunze will be 3.4" off the bottom of your sump. At 13.3" tall, it will rise to a height of 16.7", leaving you 1.3" for cup removal, and that is not even accounting for the extra 1/4 or 3.8" consumed by the glass bottom of your sump or the foam cushion you might place beneath it. If it will work, it will be tight.

I am expecting a tunze in the mail any day, and I could give you a more definitive number. In the meantime, you could look into one of tunze's short skimmers (I believe it's called the Tunze classic). Much more expensive and probably overkill, but would fit your sump.

Also, you've probably thought this through, but 1) that drawer would be handy to keep but 2) if it were necessary to lose the drawer, it would be handy if the fake drawer were not "permanently" attached. Unless you've got side or rear access, getting into that sump area will be vital, and if you could rig it so that the fake drawer didn't fall off, but was readily removeable, that would be ideal.

Also, you've probably thought this through, but 1) that drawer would be handy to keep but 2) if it were necessary to lose the drawer, it would be handy if the fake drawer were not "permanently" attached. Unless you've got side or rear access, getting into that sump area will be vital, and if you could rig it so that the fake drawer didn't fall off, but was readily removeable, that would be ideal.

The drawer is up top and would in no way interfere with sump access as the main cabinet doors provide that access. Part of me is thinking I may just skip out on the skimmer... for now atleast. I plan do do a wc a week or maybe every other week so we'll see what my levels are after a month or so. Worst case I can toss a skimmer in down the road.

I have mine in the right chamber [facing the tank] fits perfect! getting great skimmate as well. put it there and use your sumo for refuge... you can see my set up here:K-MAN'S KEEP

I removed my false wall in the tank.. The only equipment that will be in the display is a pair of Koralia 1's.

Tanque Verde

Just for future reference, the Tunze 9002 requires the barest minimum of 16" for cup removal. And that is measured from the top of the removed cup to the bottom of the Tunze. Not to the bottom of your tank.

Archived