Top Shelf Aquatics

Alternatives to hanging MH

phishhead

I just bought a new MH pendant and i don't really want to hang it from the ceiling. (honestly it's my girlfriend that won't allow it ;) ) Anyway i wanted to see some alternatives to hanging the pendants like using a bracket or some other nifty gadgetry. If ya'll have pic's i'd love to see them! Later, James

Oh yea it's a 150 watt hqi so heat is an issue and i think a homemade hood would trap in the heat and besides it's a pendant so it probably would be counter-intuitive to put a hood over it.

I have some MH parts on the way too and have been considering ways to mount them without dropping down from the ceiling as you mentioned. What size is your tank and what type of stand do you have? My 10g is sitting on a Wally-World end table which measures roughy 22"x22". See if this might work for you...

I'm thinking of using electrical conduit bent into three lengths with 2 90 degree bends. Using conduit clamps to fasten the conduit underneath the table top. Then the second length will rise alongside the table a couple of feet with the top portion bent over the top of the tank. (Think of a |_| shape turned sideways with one of the sides mounted underneath the table top.)

Drilling vertical holes in the top length will allow you to hang your MH canopy and adjust it for height requiremets. Overall it shouldn't cost more than $10.00 for 6' of conduit and a few clamps.

Spray paint the conduit a dull matte balck finish, or whatever, and you have a finished mounting system.

Depending upon your stand, etc, this may or may not work for you.

I'll post pics when i get home.... It's for a 29 gallon tank with a wood stand with a door. I think your idea would work great. I just need to find out what conduit is. Ha! Thanks for your idea i'll post a pic as soon as i can of the set up. James

Electrical conduit would be the shiny pipe you see that electricians use to house wires going into a home, or alongside a deck for lighting outdoors. Home Depot or other home centers should have it. It comes in a flexible form, like a garden hose, or in rigid form like PVC pipe. A quick call to some local electricians should yield some scrap pieces they just might give you!

EDIT: jd... Somehow that pic doesn't give me the feeling of looking at a 20L! Anything ever fall off your shelf, and into the tank?

Originally posted by SeaMountain

EDIT: jd... Somehow that pic doesn't give me the feeling of looking at a 20L! Anything ever fall off your shelf, and into the tank?

Thank goodness no. The *heavy* cast iron brackets are attached to studs in the wall and the shelf is attached via 8 screws to the brackets themselves. The rest of the shelf is as wide as the tank also so if something would ever fall off, it would land in front of the tank. I also keep the decorative crapola pushed a bit back from the edge.

:)

okay here it is ... the set up the fixture is heavy and i'll need something that will support the weight. Here's the pics

3400tank8_003-med.jpg

my hang on back stuff...

3400tank8_002-med.jpg

Here's the light...

3400tank7_006-med.jpg

top of fixture

3400tank7_002-med.jpg

hqi 150 w/ 2 18 watt NO actinics

3400tank7_001-med.jpg

any further suggestions on hanging this light?? B)

Thanks ya'll James

Hey Kennerd, I asked the merchant whether this fixture came with legs and he said it did not. It came with some wire for hanging it. He said the brand was Sea Life or something like that. Oh well, I'm going to Home Depot tonight to see what i can find. thanks JB

Archived