Cultivated Reef

Newbie 20gal setup

EddieW

Just added live rock and live sand, thought I'd post a couple of pics for feedback.

Tank is a Fluval Duo 600, 24 x 14 x 14, with the normal hood removed and replaced with a overtank lumineire with 2 x 36w PCs. Water circulation is from two Fluval 104 externals one with no media and the other with carbon (for the moment) and an internal MP400 powerhead. The Fluvals add about a gallon each to the water volume. I am thinking of plugging the internal PH on to my light timer output to reduce the flow at night times - anyone got any comments (good or bad) on this?

There is about 26lb of live rock, 20lb bio-active aragonite, 10lb base aragonite and a couple of pounds of live sand donated by a friendly LFS.

All feedback, good or bad, would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Eddie

Here is a pic of the same tank with the night lights switched on. I love the effect of the red, green and blue LEDs but I am seriously considering switching the green or red or even both for another blue to make it a bit more natural. I think the blue, green, blue green combo might look good - I think the red it maybe a bit too 'in yer face'. Comments?

Cheers, Eddie

Thanks Cajastan,

The night lighting looks great in the flesh (as it were) but the more I look at the photo, the more I don't like it. I will swap the red LED out with a blue I have on another tank (not yet immersed) and see how that looks. I think if I can get the blue as the most prominent colour the green might just work...

I'll get some more photos once I have changed them around and see what you all think.

Thanks for the feedback, Eddie

many night tanks (for deep water fish) are illuminated with red. I like it. I also like actinics at night...so I would say keep the red and ad blue...ditch the green.

The LED's look a little too much like some Halloween haunted house for some reason. I would just go with blue or something. Other than that things look great.

Thanks for the feedback on the night lighting. I had a spare blue around so I swapped the red out for that one. Still not 100% happy so I might get another blue to rplace the green one. Here's a pic of the the current set up.

Archived