Cultivated Reef

Idetity of hitchhikers please

EddieW

Hi - can anyone ID these hitchhikers on my LR and whether they are desirable or should be removed ASAP. Apologies for the quality of some of the pics but I am not very good at using the macro mode yet.

Many thanks, Eddie

Third hitchhiker - I think this looks like some kind of feather duster but want to make sure. There are a couple of other tiny ones similar to this around but with a red or orange crown.

The first 2 pics definitely look like Aptasia anemonies, which are the "weeds" of the anemone family. Highly undesireable. Perform a search for Aptasia on this site and you'll be sure to find some decent advice on how to rid your tank of them. I had aptasia on my liverock as well and they are quite the pests.

Not sure what the other hitchhikers are, but I'm sure some of the knowledgable reefers on this site will be able to ID them for you. Best of luck.

Thanks Tanked, I will have a search on the board for Aptasia.

Eddie

Oops - before I get too many people having a go at me - Yes, I should have put this in the Identification Forum but I didn't spot it. And Yes I should have had a look around to see if I could

identify the aptasia first. Sorry, will try and be better next time.

The first two pictures are aptasia (baaad), the middle hitchhikers are button polyps, or zoos (GOOD) the last one looks like macro.

Not sure about the dusters, they're probably just dusters or coco worms. I have red ones, orange ones, a couple of pale green ones... alot of tiny white ones. Good stuff.

-Sumbel.

Thanks to you all for the useful feedback.

I got a couple of peppermint shrimp last night and this morning no more aptasia, yippee!! Will I need to feed anything specific to keep the shrimp happy now that the aptasia is gone?

Cheers, Eddie

and when you're doing your search, look for aiptasia, not aptasia. I've found the best solution to be a peppermint shrimp

OC,

Fortunately Google corrected my mis-spelling so I got some good results :)

My peppermints finished off the aiptasia over night - no sign of it today.

Thanks to all for the useful feedback - learning lots everyday.

Cheers, Eddie

Archived