Coral Vue Hydros

Creepy crawly mystery

Tanked

Is there anyone out there that can explain the lifecycles of animals such as bristleworms and copepods? The very first day that I placed the liverocks into the tank (8 weeks ago?) I saw a very large worm, probably a bristle, hanging off one of the rocks. It was about 8-10 inches long. I have not seen this worm since that day. I had been seeing much smaller bristleworms, but now I am not seeing them anymore either.

About 3 weeks ago, there was a copepod explosion. There were seemingly hundreds of them crawling all over the sides of the tank. Not only are they gone, I have not seen the centimeter long adults in some time either.

In the last month or so I have added an emerald crab, a coral banded shrimp, and a royal gramma to join the astrea snails, blue legs, and zebra hermits. I have read that the CBS is known to feed on small bristleworms. Could these three new inhabitants have so thoroughly eradicated an entire population of these little beasties?

could be, or you could need to supplement ca/alk. remember that the 'pods are crustaceans as well. the shrimp, crab, coralline, hermits and snails will be depleting the ca.

the cbs and gramma could wipeout a population given a finite amount of space. and here in this forum, it's definitely mini-finite. mini-skirt.

Archived