SaltCritters.com

Eclipse hoods

Spencer

Are these hoods any good for nano tanks? I would add two extra bulbs for a total of 4. Is there room to add a skimmer at the back? bacpac or seaclone maybe?

If you have an eclipse hood lets hear some feedback!

TIA

Spencer

attack of the killer seaclone, seaclone must die nooooooo!!!!!!!

i swear my old one is coming for me in my sleep after i droped that huge rock on him

oh no her.......(and silence)

nope sorry to bust your bubble but theres no room to hang anything on the back of an eclipse hood.its all closed up.i had the whole eclipse ordeal on my25h i retrofited the lights.but i just couldnt do much more unless i tried to run a bunch of piping through the tiny hole they provide you with.if you want an eclipse hood and you want to make a fuge or add a skimmer,you would have to pipe it all out and do all that outside of the tank.and for me,that would suck.thats why i just took it all off and started all over,well,just the equipment ,not the tank.

Yeah, i was thinking that the only point of the eclipse hood is to have everything hidden. So, if I have to put a sump below for a skimmer I should just put the rest of the filters and pumps down there.

Are those eclipse hoods good though? Do you really need a skimmer. I never run my seaclone like once a month(FOWLR).

yeah i think theyre good i used it for a few months.it actually worked pretty good.tho only thing about them is you have to retro fit the lghts and all that junk.i had an eclipse 3 system and the most as far as lights that i could fit was a powerquad retrofit 96watt,but it just didnt feel very safe.especialy being so close to the water and without a cover.so...i took the whole thing of.

but another story is my 3 gallon eclipse which i am running.all i have in there are shrooms/zoos/and sexy shrimp,but they are flourishing and it looks great.the only con is the anoying salt creep.

i guess if you really want to use the eclipse you canas long as your planning lower light corals(no sps or clams).

but as far as fowlr goes you dont need a skimmer.but then again that also depends on your bioload and your lr to water ratio.i have about 2.5 lbs of live rock for each gallon oif water i feel that helps me get by without a skimmer.i also do 25% water changes once a week,VERY ANAL ABOUT IT TOO.dont over feed either this is probably the main reason for bad water quality.fish can go a week without food,but DONT DO THIS.i feed every other day.sometimes every two days because my fish eat the pods in the tank,and i have alot of them.

i dont run anything on a skimmer.i dont feel the need because of all the precautions i take.so i would say as long as your careful you dont need one i know alot of people that dont run skimmers.

im new to this site but i have seen an eclipse hood that was retrofited by having a section in the back cut out with a prizm skimmer mounted in the back

I have an eclipse 12 and its a great begginer set up but upgrading is a *****. The only thing I use, is the tank. Got rid of filter and hood. Problem is hood is too hot especially with upgraded lighting. Yes, you could add fans but by the time your done you spent some serious $$$. Ijust bought the Coralife 20inch 96w quad hood with mounting legs and it was only like $100 total for everything and fits perfect. It looks cool too, built in fans. It was hard to part with the eclipse hood but once you get rid of it theres no lookin back....and your corals will love you for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 10 gallon nano with an eclipse hood. In it, I have:

1 x 96watt csl powerquad lights

2 LED for moonlighting

1 prizm skmmer

1 penguin hang-on-back carbon filter

Yep, all on an eclipse hood.

It is a pain in the ass, but it is definitley worth the extra effort to have that nice, hidden, black hood look.

How'd I do it? I bought a dremel. :)

• 1 month later...

i have a system 6 with a 27 watt pc retrofit light. i use stock filter with a bio-chem zorb pouch placed on top of the filter. i also have a 65 gph pump in the tank for water flow. all i keep in the tank is a maroon clown and a BTA. i have only had the BTA for 3 weeks and it looks good, so i hope it survives in this set up.

i do a water change every week. good live sand and rock is important i feel with the crappy filter.

Carl_in_Florida

I have fallen into the trap I was trying to avoid. I have an Eclipse 6. I had to get rid of the filter to upgrade the lights the way I wanted to. I love the clean look of the hood but it is now a heat trap. I have to keep the flap on top wedged open a quarter inch to keep the temp under boiling. I am convinced that you cannot do a lighting upgrade in these hoods without cooling mods.

My original intention was to have the "ocean in a box" look. But now I got the "I am trying to not make this look like I am an idiot and dropping a bunch of money in a box with wires going everywhere and light comming out of the top" look.

Some may disagree but...

If you are considering a serious eclipse tank, ditch the hood and hang a halide over it. They don't cost that much (DIY) and then you will not lay awake at night and wished you went all they way.

IMO

Archived