ReefCleaners.org

Sump setup

evilc66

I'm close to the last few details on the tank, and I had planned on a bubble/rubble tower that Melev uses frequently on his sump designs. But I got to thinking that a filter sock has some advantages in prefiltering the larger crap that comes down into the sump from the tanks. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with having to clean them all the time.

Sump will be running an Octopus NW110 skimmer, and a fuge with 2" sandbed, rubble and chaeto.

Suggestions/opinions/random comments appreciated.

Sump is 22g (24x18x12), and is running an Ocean Runner 3500. There will be about 600gph through the sump after head losses.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for quiet, and minimal bubbles.

A column would be better than a filter sock, IMO. I don't like anything that can reduce my drain capacity, though a filter sock is unlikely to do that. I also like to use things that I don't have to constantly maintain.

Either way, you may still want at least one set of baffles in addition to a column or sock.

Soft plumbing will be the quietest, even if you go with flex PVC instead of the cheaper vinyl.

Don't forget to use unions in any plumbing you anticipate having to disassemble without destroying.

Plumbing portion is all good ;) It is rigid though, but unioned, and cemented with exception of the fittings that are directly over the tank. I wanted to be able to change positions if need be.

I agree with you Fosi. I shouldn't have second guessed myself in the first place. Unless anyone else can come up with a good reason to use filter socks, I'm using the bubble tower.

I went with a bubble tower like melev in my sump. I absolutely hate it.

If you want to try it, I suggest making it out of a separate piece of acrylic that you can "drop-in" and maybe hang over the lip of the sump. That way if you don't like it, you can remove it.

Oh yeah, lol.

1) It makes it extremely difficult to use a filter sock, if you ever want the option. I don't want to run a filter sock all of the time, but sometimes it's really nice to have the option. For example, when I stir up my sand or after feedings.

2) It may be my design, but I don't feel like it cuts down on micro bubbles at all. My drain causes a ton of bubbles and I have a lot of salt creep as a result. I would like to try something like Fosi and Duncan are using to cut down on bubbles, but I don't really have the option b/c the bubble tower is in the way.

3) Rubble in the tower didn't seem to help much with bubbles and it seemed to increase detritus build-up (or little pieces of rock would break off, etc.).

I should note that my sump is acrylic, so taking the bubble tower out isn't an option without draining the whole thing and taking a dremel to it. If you silicone one in, it would be relatively easy to remove later on.

Edit: I also suggest using baffles.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Overflow is capable of 700gph.

Eheim 1260 return is capable of 635gph. I have it throttled back using a ball valve at about 2 o'clock.

Throw in the return plumbing w/two outputs, likely less than 500gph.

Interesting. I have enough room in that area of the sump to make the bubble tower quite big. I could make it big enough to handle a filter sock if the rubble doesn't work out. Outlet for the bubble tower will be through the bottom of the chamber, leading into the skimmer section.

It will be bubble tower --> skimmer section --> fuge --> return

I have plenty of room to make the bubble tower quite big and not impede on the skimmer section. I want this as the primary entrance point, and seperate from the skimmer.

Will there be a cover on the bubble tower where the drain enters the sump, thereby forcing all of the water down through the tower and out the bottom?

The top of the divider for the bubble tower will be higher than the height of the overflow into the bubble trap going into the fuge. The bottom of the bubble tower will open the entire width (about 8") and partitioned off with eggcrate.

Archived