inTank Media Baskets

Is 9-11watts enough light for an 8 gallon fuge?

southpaw23

Just wanted to find out if a 9-11watt PC is enough wattage to light up my custom fuge that sits at the back of my tank. It's dimensions are 20Lx5Wx21H. My only concern is the height of the fuge...even with my planned 4-5" DSB, the PCs would still sit about 16" from the base. Will 9-11 watts of PC be enough to cultivate macroalgae?

Quick Input would also be much appreciated....already lookin around for appropriate lighting :)

Thanx again

I'm just planning on useing NO floresents on my fuge for macro algea. The stuff floats so it will be closer to the lights that way. Two bulbs as long as the sump and a 24 hour photo period.

thats what i PLAN on doing at least.

anybody else?

Thanx for the input Chyendra, i also plan on having the lights on 24/7 but i'm affraid that still doesn't answer my question...

Regardless of an NO tube or PC, is the wattage i'm stating enough? or does wattage not even matter when dealing with a fuge? the main reason why i'm looking at a PC is due to it's shorter length.

Anyone else able to answer my question? :(

Dave Scheiner

No problem with a 10W PC. I have a 5.5 and I bought the incandescent hood that goes with it from All-Glass. All-Glass also sells a 10W PC that fits into the hood. I have had that over my fuge for about 8 months now and the calurpa is growing. I can say the calurpa isn't growing very fast, but I don't think that's a problem. I've only done 1 major thinning to date. HTH

Thanx for the feedback Dave Scheiner, good to hear that the calurpa's growth is lessen somewhat....i hear that they can fill up a tank pretty quick but i suppose with the lesser light it slows em down a lil....i'm thinkin....with the slower growth, does that affect the nutrient absorbtion much?

Yet again, unlike your 5.5, my 8 gallon fuge is a lil different, skinny and tall, i'm just concerned about light penetration as well...

Dave Scheiner

Kenny,

The 5.5 is plumbed to my 29g nano. When I test the NH3, NO2 and NO3's are all zero. i don't htink I have an excessive bio-load, 3 small fish in the 29 so its working OK for me.

Dave

you'll be fine. the macro might grow a little slower but it'll be fine. it might be a blessing... i have an 18w combo pc on my 2.5 fuge and i have to thin it at least once a week! let me tell you, it gets a little annoying! but my tanks doing great!

Great info guys...so what i'm getting so far from all these observations is that the wattage would work fine in cultivating the macro's but it's all a matter of how fast these macros grow in relation to the kind of lighting intensity provided....did i get that right :blush:

Hey dave....one more quick question....i'm assuming that the macros would be dealing with your phosphates as well right? As far as bio load is concerned...i guess i'll only know when i've got my tank all set up...but my plan is to go with a pair of perculas and perhaps a bicolor blenny as well....so 3 fishes in a 16gallon. i think it should hold up but all this is not final.

And Audi....after learning about ur constant trimming, i think i'll stick to the lower wattage and see how that works for me (i guess i'll only know when everythings up and running) :P

Good to see that everyone's having a good experience with their fuge...makes me feel good that i actually decided to go with one in my first setup....well, 2 more weeks to go before i get this baby up and running....can't wait :)

Thanx again for all the help guys....

Dave Scheiner

One last answer. I am assuming the macros are dealing with phosphates as well. Actually I've never tested for phoshate. :blush: I use RO water, I've gone through the diatom bloom, cyano bloom, etc. Everything seems stable for now. Actually I have 4 fish in the tank, I forgot about my yellow watchman goby. I also have a brittle star, I don't know if he adds significantly to the bio-load or not. Anyway like audi says, "you'll be fine". Just do it

Dave

well, i guess the issue with bio load and phosphates is not much of an issue to me as of now....when the tank progresses...err, more like gets started....i'll know more....

so i'll go with the planned lighting first and keep you guys updated ;) It'll probably be in a month or two before i'll know how the refugium affects the whole system anyway but thanx again :)

Archived