Coral Vue Hydros

Red Vs. Black Mangroves

Atari

I got 5 Red mangrove seeds and 2 black mangrove seeds a few months ago. My black mangroves are growing lake crazy and my reds have barely sprouted roots. By this observation I would assume the blacks remove more from the water then the reds. If this is true why don't I see anyone else using them? Actually why have I not seen any one using them at all for period?

Thank you for the response.

For the most part it just tells me that blacks don't do well because the don't like that higher salt levels which contradicts what i'm seeing.

johnmaloney

I am pretty sure you got them from me...right? At that time black mangrove seeds weren't selling, so I started sprouting them, most people got sprouts instead of seeds .This is what a seed looks like:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:GZCwl9...ve-seeds-02.jpg

If it has this or better it was a sprout:

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:9PZzhn...inans-fresh.jpg

I think it just has a head start. Black mangroves do just fine in higher salt levels, usually people say they need to be out of the water more b/c it is natural. But that isn't right either...

To add to the head start, black mangroves sprout quickly, they don't have as much time before they decompose, at least when compared to red mangroves. Red mangroves can stay viable for up to a year after dropping, black mangroves about 2 weeks I think... In the end the reds will probably grow a bit faster.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know where I can buy black mangrove seeds or sprouts? Thanks

Rofl...ever hear of a good ol chap named john maloney?

Rofl...ever hear of a good ol chap named john maloney?

I am new here :D

I followed the link from his signature and got to Reef Cleaners. The black mangrove is not available.

I am new here :D

I followed the link from his signature and got to Reef Cleaners. The black mangrove is not available.

shoot him a PM and ask him.

Archived