SaltCritters.com

LR supplier

cephas

Hey Everyone,

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me . I am getting ready to set up my first nano reef,( Had a 90 gallon reef set up for years, but sold it when we moved from Chicago to Florida) and am looking for a good supplier of LR. All of the LFS LR looks more like base rock, with just small amounts of coralline algae for $8.00lb. I have found a few suppliers whose LR looks really nice. http://www.tbsaltwater.com/docrock.html Tampa Bay Saltwater aquarium, and Reefer rocks http://www.reeferrocks.com/liverock/species.htm

Both of these companies have uncured rock, but with tons of growth. I have never purchased uncured rock before, but there rock looks great, and both are within a two hour drive from me ( I'm in Fort Myers) any feedback?? Anyone purchase from these guys before?? Should I cure the rock first if I purchase from them, or just cycle my tank with it?

Thanks In Advance for all of your help :)

Ken

i purchased mine from Gulf-View in FL when i started my 20gal. it was shipped cross-country to CA overnight. i would say i am happy with the rocks. much more color and life than the expensive 'cured' rocks from LFS thats are all white with black spots. Since you are in FL, i don't suppose shipping would cost you much if any at all if you drive to pickup. if i were to start a new tank, i would instead look over to ReefCentral. theres always people breaking up their tank or getting out of the hobby and selling their rocks for around $2 a pound. i would find somebody local and buy their rocks. also you can use uncure rock to start the cycle in your tank.

hello, I'm in Ocala (1hr north of tampa )and I have heard that "fish and other ishy stuff" SW of tampa is a good store from some of the folks on reef-central. I havent made the trip yet,but soon i hope. Good luck in your hunt for a good lfs there high priced and slim pickenz around here.

Thanks everyone for your input :-)

I think I'm going to take a drive up and check out Gulfview and Tampa Bay, and"fish and other ishy stuff" for there LR. I've been collecting small piece of rock from the beach for my Base rock, and I'm just loooking for a few really nice pieces. We only have two "real" LFS in Fort myers, and both have boring, and overpriced Rock

Thanks again!

Ken

Archived