Top Shelf Aquatics

How many powerheads for a 20G tank?

nicuz

How many powerheads for a 20G nano reef and how should they be positioned?

2 koralias/tunze or 1 vortech

main goal is just try to make sure there is flow around the bottom sand bed to keep detris from collecting.

It depends on what you are keeping...as is the case with most reef equipment purchases. If you are only keeping softies and LPS I would recommend 2 koralia 1's. If you plan on adding some SPS I would think 2 koralia 2's or even 3's would be needed. Of course a vortec would be great but most people aren't going to spend that much money on a power head unless they are going with a lot of SPS and even then there are cheaper options.

As for positioning, many people like to have two or more power heads directed towards each other to create a semi-random flow pattern.

I'm with the school of massive flow. I have a 'fuge ac 110, an empty whisper 20 (that i might as well toss out) and two aquatic garden ph's that should be doing 60gph each.

since all the media is out of the AC110, I don't actually know how much flow I'm really doing. point being the more flow from the more directions is better.

Archived