Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What skimmer would you choose?

brooksthepro

brooksthepro

I have an eclipse 3 hood and am trying to figure out the best option for a protein skimmer. Im limited to an in-tank skimmer because i dont have a sump or any room for a backpack style one. Iv read alot of forums/thread and have heard good and bad reviews on these counter-current style skimmers. Which one would you guys think is best? Any experience with any?

Lee's Counter Current Medium http://www.petco.com/product/6125/Lee%27s-...in-Skimmer.aspx

Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?...r:referralID=NA

Red Sea Berlin Airlift 60 http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.asp...ite=google_base

Oceanic BioCube Skimmer http://www.petco.com/product/108200/Oceani...ELAID=289577899

Im leaning towards the BioCube one just because i can get it at my LFS. But what do you guys think? I dont have a Biocube tank so would getting this be a mistake? It says its for 14 and 29gal biocubes....mines a 29g tall with an eclipse hood. It should work just as good no?

tia!!

You should get a Tunze 9002 nanoskimmer, by far the best in-tank skimmer option for you, and reasonably priced as well. from what I remember of the eclipse hood (used to have one), you should be able to fit it in under there by having the longer side facing forward on either the left or right side of the tank. It's quiet and efficient, and probably the best bang-for-your-buck skimmer in the world.

chironerd21

I don't know what you trying to do in your tank.... but the eclipse hood wouldn't be strong enough for corals... just for your fish.... also don't use any of sponges etc from those hoods...

So if you get to choose, I would skip the eclipse hood...and go with proper lighting...and then you can choose a proper skimmer.... all those 4 you mention are not good ... they are just to ripe you off...

I got a Tunze 9002 and it works really well.... if you ditch your hood there are so many HOB nano skimmers... like Aqua C, CPR-Pak, Eshopp, bubble magnus... to name a few...

Don't waste your money / energy on the eclipse hood and a bad skimmer... because we all know in this hobby you will upgrade in a heart beat :P

brooksthepro
I don't know what you trying to do in your tank.... but the eclipse hood wouldn't be strong enough for corals... just for your fish.... also don't use any of sponges etc from those hoods...

So if you get to choose, I would skip the eclipse hood...and go with proper lighting...and then you can choose a proper skimmer.... all those 4 you mention are not good ... they are just to ripe you off...

I got a Tunze 9002 and it works really well.... if you ditch your hood there are so many HOB nano skimmers... like Aqua C, CPR-Pak, Eshopp, bubble magnus... to name a few...

Don't waste your money / energy on the eclipse hood and a bad skimmer... because we all know in this hobby you will upgrade in a heart beat :P

thanks for your guys suggestions...i know the eclipse hood isnt very good for reef tanks, but i bought it 3 years ago when i was freshwater. I just upgraded the lighting to a 65w power compact and am considering getting a second one and doing some custom work to make it fit, to make it 130w total. I know those types of skimmers arent the best, but i plan on doing frequent water changes and keeping it mostly a fowlr tank for now....i guess a ghetto skimmer is better then no skimmer.

i havent done much research on the subject yet, but i will ask anyways. Would 130w be sufficient for soft corals and anemones in a 29g tall 30x18x12? if i had 130w what options would i have for animals besides fish. what options would i have for just the 65w i have now?

i plan on starting this hobby with the eclipse, then, if i so choose, i will upgrade to a 55+gal tank and go all out in a couple years. once i get a bigger apt/house :)

chironerd21

I would just forget about the skimmer .... "ghetto skimmer" is equal to "no skimmer"... don't even bother just be religous with your water changes..

As for your lights... 130 watts should be enough for softies..and LPS that are place higher in the tank... but then again you tank is fairly deep for that kind of light...

You can keep shrimps, hermits, snails...anything animal...since they don't require light to live...

I suggest go all out now... and just buy equipment that is suitable for a 55 gallon ...

I've seen a 29 gallon with two 65w PC retro kits into its eclipse hood (same as what you mention) that has a huge RBTA with a pair of maroon clowns in it. But in order to do this, they feed the 'nem three times per week (mysis shrimp I think). So yes, it can be done, and 130w can be more than enough, but it all depends on what you want to do with it.

And no skimmer is better than a ghetto skimmer. Go with the Tunze, it's just over a hundred dollars and worth every penney. Quite cheap for a great skimmer

BTW, I have a 65w retro kit left over from my eclipse hood (with the portion of the hood that it went in), if you're interested I'll sell it to you. PM me

brooksthepro

thanks for your guys advice. what would u guys think of the aquaticlife mini protein skimmer 115? looks considerably better then the airstone type for just a few bucks more. thanks for the offer on the kit. specifically, what kit is it? because i should probably have them match no? does it matter?......how much would u sell it to me for? ill pm u in a sec to keep this thread OT.

only reason i want to wait a few years before i go 55+ is because theres just no room for it in my small apt, my 29 is allready too big

Archived