Pod Your Reef

How many people do we have running ALIFE 7 Nanos now?????

rickjg

How many people do we have running ALIFE 7 Nanos now?????

Any problems?

Would you do it different if you had to start over??

I love my tank. One thing I wished the company would've done differently is make the tank more wider horizontally and not so much box shaped. If I were to start over though, I'd probably get a 20L but the reason I didn't get a 20L in the first place is cause I had no room for one, so basically, I have no complaints. :)

Well mine's been up for only 5 days, but I think I'm in love...:)  What do I wish they'd do diffrently?  not much, I've heard some complain the powerhead isn't strong enough, but I'm really too new to comment....mayve add a built-in heater or compartment in the back specifically for a heater...that would be about it.....

ladyamanda,

I hope you're not using the bio balls and sponge in your system... and you should definitely upgrade your powerhead if you're using the Alife one... Go with the Rio90.

Actually I am using the bio balls, black sponge thingy and white filter, I'm planning on starting to take them out gradually, but why is that an issue?

You guys know anywhere that sells these online?  Theres nobody in my area but I saw one on vacation not too long ago.  I wouldn't mind looking into one.

HmMm, nitrate factories, id like to just get peoples opinion about that...

any reason's why it can be a nitrate factory?

based on what i have read and researched upon, bioball's are not neccesary in reef tanks because the major source of biological filtration is the rocks.

but the question is, if you have fish only tank, would you still consider the bioball's nitrate factories?

i have also heard some reasons that it does develop nitrates, because there are some area's that will be stagnant, wont be cleaned, and develop bacteria over time.

if so, what can you say about a plenum system?

i dont use bioballs, but i just want to know why, and how everyone came out with the conclusion of nitrate factories.

The black sponge "thingy" and white filter trap small partials and detrus which will then feed bacteria that create nitrates and other wastes that cause pollution in the water. The little critters in the live rock & live sand will take care of those items for you and keep the tank healthy. Bio balls provide a home for bacteria in a high flow, high oxygen environment, which means the nitrates cannot be broken down. The bacteria that remove nitrates live in low oxygen environments. Live rock has both the high oxygen and low oxygen areas needed by the different types of bacteria and other tiny animals that have evolved to use the waste produced. Plenum systems develop very low oxygen areas of very low flow that provide homes for bacteria that also remove nitrates left from the critters that ate the waste from the live sand bed. The conversion of these wastes by bacteria in the Plenum also lower the PH which dissolves some of the sand to raise calcium levels, if you use calcium based sand.        

so, this is what i heard what a cycle is:

You start off with: Ammonia -> Nitite -> Nitrate -> Calcium -> Ammonia... but in the process, PH and ALK are affected also

does that mean the cycle will just never end?  

and if so..doesn't adding bio balls good for the water, even though that it may be a Nitrate Factory, but i would think you rather want higher Nitrate levels then any of the other substances in your tank right?  or am i wrong?

and what is more toxic to the fish? Ammonia, or nitrate.  I guess I have to look, but why not add a light to the filter area and throw some calurpa in there?  

ACtually, Nitrite is the WORST thing for fish and corals.  then ammonia, and my thoughts are..the bio-balls are actually good.eventhough it contains and cultivates nitrate-producing bacterias, but those bacteria will consume all the Nitrite that will result from Ammonia and then transform them to Nitrate.

I mean..come on..people didn't just invented the nio-balls for no freaking reasons...and this form of filtration has been used for many many years...

If your using live rock and live sand then you should avoid bio balls. YOur just kicking your self in the ass. The bio balls are extremely effecient at what they do. That is to convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. They stop there though. Due to their extremely high effeciency and high surface area, the bio balls can actually outcompete the bacteria that would otherwise live on the rock and sand. If you dont have bacteria in your sand and rock then its easier for nuisance algae to grow. Another main reason is that bioballs and their use lack anaerobic areas. So it is more difficult for the nitrates to be used by annaerobic bacteria. It is more likely to be assimilated by nuisance algae.

printerdown01

Most people with large systems use bioballs with great success... My 12 gallon has been up and running for over a year (yet to have an algae problem -sign of abondance of nitrates) and utilizes a biowheel... I think a bigger deal is made out of this than need be!! Has anyone out there ACTUALLY had a tank that ran biowheels or bioballs and had a major problem with algae? On another note: if you run a system with a biowheel or bioballs AND run either a refugium or GAC they make a perfect combo!!! -Just a thought

p.s. this is only my opinion and observations, and should be regarded as so...

Archived