Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fan just died on my Coralife HQI. What to do?

southernfried

southernfried

I have the clip on Coralife 150 watt HQI fixture and the cooling fan just gave out. How do I begin going about repairing this? Do I even need to worry about it?

contact coralife for a new one. Worst comes to worse get a 40mm computer fan, split the wires and connect it to the old fan wires. Verify that the fan is 40mm before you buy another though, i'm not sure. :)

addicted2reefer

" Worst comes to worse get a 40mm computer fan, split the wires and connect it to the old fan wires"

just a friendly reminder to unplugg it ,safety first ! :lol:

southernfried
I've used that same light for about two years total without ever having the fan on.

Don't panic.

Thanks. I was wondering how important the fan was to begin with. I am going to run it fanless for awhile and see if I notice a difference.

Push comes to shove I will investigate other options.

Thank you all.

Yes, you should replace the fan. No, you do not need to split the wires. There is a 2-pin connector inside the housing, and it works with any other 40mm 2-pin computer fan. I replaced the stock fan for a quieter one because I didn't like how noisy it is. This is the fan I used:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=223...ufacture=Scythe

It works great, much quieter, and I believe it puts out more cfm, hence better cooling. An uncooled MH bulb will degrade faster, leading to a colour spectrum shift that will give rise to an increase in algae growth and the increased heat could also possibly lead to early failure of the bulb. For ~$6 and a little bit of turning a screwdriver, it's worth it to swap it out.

Archived