Innovative Marine Aquariums

Does everyone here run carbon or no?

z6joker9

i was kinda curious, cause we dont run carbon on our 120 gallon. i believe it was advice given to us on some forum(not this one though) in a post, but i'm not exactly sure.

what are the benifits each way and which does everyone here follow?

oh yeah please post if you run a skimmer or not as well, as i think that is the reason we dont run it on the 120.

i know the skimmer pulls benifical elements from the water along with the harmful ones. is the same true with carbon?

yes carbon, no skimmer on my 12 gal tank

yes carbon and yes skimmer on the 100gal tank

I feel both are useful, but I am not inclined to do the work necessary to make one work on my 12 gal nano cube. I WOULD LIKE to have one on it, but thats a different story

Yes I run a skimmer also. I dose my tank to replace those elements it takes out and the water changes help with that also. Personally I feel the crap the skimmer takes out outweighs the 'taking out the elements' aspect.

I agree, I feel the "no skimmer because it pulls out necessary elements" is a rather new way of looking at this and not really time honored like using a skimmer. I would like to see someone with a tank with triggers, lions and puffers back that up. Protein skimmers need to be used especially if you have a bio bio load...and guess what a 10 gal tank with 2 fish in it...thats a big bio load

20g - lots of corals and 1 scooter blenny that I feed 40+ mysis to a day - No Skimmer - Run carbon maybe once a month for a week.

10g prop tank (no fish)- Same as 20g

2.5 (just shrimps and a few coral)- No skimmer No carbon

skimmer, no carbon 20G 3fish lots of LR and Fuge w/ dsb and lots of macro

i use a duetto 50 to stir the new water and that has carbon, but I don't think that counts

I would use it if there was color or smell to the tank

12.5% bi monthly water changes

Was running carbon, switched to a product called Renew, same benefits as carbon but it's not supposed to deplete trace elements. Don't ask me how though. I do keep carbon on hand in case of emergency.

7g, 2 fish, carbon 24-7 no skimmer and no water quality problems.

35g, 5 fish, carbon and skimmer 24-7, no water quality problems.

75g clam/sps tank, carbon 24-7 no skimmer yet, excelent water quality.

20gal w/ 5gal sump/fuge, 40lb LR

2 fish, 5 clams,10 SPS, 2 LPS, xenia, zoos, rics, etc.

skimmer 24x7, carbon (black diamond) once a month for a week.

I do it mainly for the clams.

-skeletor-

I have taken over an established 10g and only run carbon occaisionally. I only have an HOB filter, no skimmer. I believe I heard that this was to prevent relying on something "outside the system" for filtration (some argument like every time you changed filter media you'd get a new mini-cycle or something). Can anyone clarify or correct this approach? Should I be running carbon 24x7 in my nano?

Archived