SaltCritters.com

JBJ Cube LR setup

cartophilus

I've just gotten my JBJ 12 Gallon set up, and I was wondering what more experienced tank owners thought would be the best LR setup. I know this is all subjective, but any technical pointers would be great. I messed around with the rock for a while, and got two setups that I'm moderately content with. The problem with the first one is that I will have problems getting to the glass on the sides to clean it, and that the colors are mostly on the undersides of the rock. The problem with the second one is that, although glass access is unimpeded and the colors look good, it looks like a pile of rock to me. Anyone's opinions and/or suggestions would be welcome. Please be gentle with criticisms, as I am, like a fresh bloomed lily, very delicate.

First Setup:

i definitely prefer the 2nd setup. firstly, maintenance reasons as you point out and more surface area for coral placement. also, the 1st setup was too artificial looking imo. lastly, stability should also always be considered (2nd looks much more stable). instability can not only cause real structural damage (e.g. cracked tank) but also squish a prized animal. X)

the colors are mostly on the undersides of the rock.
actually, there's a reason to this. colorful coralline tend to grow with subdued/less lighting. don't be surprised if the coralline you have upturned now bleaches from overexposure. don't worry, if conditions are good they're quickly re-grow.

Thanks, Tiny. The first one actually seemed more structurally sound, to be honest. I didn't know that coralline grew more in less lighting. Maybe I'll re-place rocks again and post new picture.

Thanks,

Cart

y'know, i was actually going to mention that is one cute piggy (really) but i'm already pushing the limits of my 'normalness' around here. :D

futzing with the rocks won't necessarily affect the cycle directly but rather indirectly. e.g. you squish something that dies = more waste/nutrient levels. you also could all of a sudden bring a lot of oxygenated water into a previously anaerobic area and kill off the denitrating bacteria or vice versa.

i kinda like the reef bommie look (2nd). the 1st kinda was very roman colisseum-looking. pers pref

Archived