Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

pH not high enough

darwin604

My brother is setting up a new nano and he's had it running for a month now. It has crushed choral substrate (aragonite) and shells in it as recommended by the LFS. For some reason, his test kit indicates that the PH is still at 7.2 after running it for a month. Is this possible? Could the test kit be wrong? It seems odd to me that with all the buffers in there that the pH is still so low. If it is still low, what can be done to bring it up?

thanks

d.

Darwin, have you/him done any other water tests? If only set up a month the tank could still be cycling and that may lead to a lower pH. Test for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. If nitrite and ammonia are zero then the cycle is most likely over. If the cycle is over, I would do a 25%-30% water change and see where your pH ends up at. After a couple of water changes it usually comes up. Also, what is your water source, if tap water, that could be a problem also. Just post some more details.

jackdp: He lives out at the local university so I'm not too invovled with his tank, im just tryin to help him out, once he saw my nano he was hooked and is trying to set up one of his own :) . . I know he's done water top ups but im not sure about water changes. He uses tap water with water conditioner. The LFS has tried to sell him all sorts of chemicals but I dont think thats the proper solution. They also told him that he needs to have a fish in there to cycle it properly . . is that true? The doesnt seem right to me. He's eager to add LR and some livestock but he's worried about getting the pH right before doing so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

d.

ps. I think the LFS is jerking him around . . and as usual I trust you guys before I trust any stores B)

Darwin..if all your friend has done is fill a tank with saltwater and turn on the filter, then the cycle may not have even started. First thing to do is get a decent test kit for saltwater that can test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH (tetra sells a whole kit for like 15 bucks).

If there is no livestock in the tank then he has a couple of options.

1. Put in some uncured LR, the die off will cause an ammonia spike and start the cycle.

2. Go to the grocery and get a couple of frozen shrimp and toss em in and let em rot...this too will start the cycle

3. Adding fish will also start the cycle as LFS suggested but it less stress to the fish to use above methods.

4. Test daily or every other day for ammonia, and nitrite...ammonia will rise and fall and then nitrite will rise and fall..once the nitrite concentration is zero...test nitrates (they should be high (above 25-30mg/l)

5. Once nitrites have fallen off I would recommend checking ammonia and nitrites for a week or so just to make sure the tank is done cycling, do a water change and then add a fish.

A good book is also a must, don't let him jump into the hobby blind. The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is an excellent book for beginners. Good Luck!

Archived