Top Shelf Aquatics

Everything is thriving! But........

actnuts

I am 4 months into my 11 gallon.

Take a look at my website for logs and statistics.

http://www.lifeisgreat.info

All seems healthy except for my gsp's.

Is it time to take them back?

If you notice the other crew they seem to be fine.

This is my second post by the way. First one in the advanced forum. I realized that I should be in the newbie section.

Chemistry of the tank is OK.

Haven't tested for calcium.

Thanks.

your suspicion of the nitrates may very well be correct. gsp are pretty tough tho. as long as you get the nitrates down (assuming NO2 and NH3 read zero) the gsp should open up again. i've had gsp closed for months, re-open. peek in at night, sometimes they open at night.

what lights are you running?

i also agree with your thought that there are too many fish.

the scallop needs feeding but that does increase the nutrient level. unless you can target feed it, it's feeding requirements will constantly fight against your attempts to make the water pristine.

what's the flow dynamics? any algae (nuisance or cultured)?

Nitrates have been back to normal after 4 water changes over 2 weeks time. In fact, the bubble coral started to expand after 3 water changes which gave me hopes for the gsp.

Lighting is via aqua pl tube lv418 18wx2

No real algae problems.

I use a millinium 1000 filter and underground filter.

The light may be a little low for some GSP, too, dependng on where the originated from. NOte, I said SOME. I moved GSP from a 10 gal with 2x32w PC's to a holding tank w/ 1x18w NO bulb. The GSP are not terribly happy, but open on occasion.

I think eliminating the Nitrate issue will put you on the right road, or at least help narrow it down a biut.

Archived