ReefCleaners.org

Koralia Nano = Too Much Flow. Recommendations?

Bonsai

Hi all,

I have a Koralia Nano, I had it in my BC8, but it was too much flow for the tank ... can anyone recommend a similar pump (magnetically secured to the tank, rather than suction cups) that provides less gallons per hour output?

Thanks!

if it doesnt have to be a propeller pump... y not just get a minijet or something, and remove suction cups, and superglue a magfloat to the pump, and use the magfloat to keep it secured to the glass?

if it doesnt have to be a propeller pump... y not just get a minijet or something, and remove suction cups, and superglue a magfloat to the pump, and use the magfloat to keep it secured to the glass?

I just didn't know if a magnet would affect the impeller on those types of pump ...

You could fill in some of the slits on the koralia nano either with silicone or a thin piece of plastic. This would decrease the flow. Mine became covered in coraline and some form of stringy, coarse alge, which pretty much cut the flow to a trickle. I have to clean mine regularly.

seriously too much flow? those little things are wimpy as heck.

I Know. I have one in my picotope and it's not enough Imo ! :o

You can wrap a filter pad around the back part and rubber band it. It will collect detritus and dirt. Just take it off and rinse it. We use this on a pipefish tank to prevent them from getting caught in the power head. The side effect is a decrease in flow also.

wow surprised its to much flow i have 2 nanos in a ap12 and its perfect for my mixed reef

2 nanos in an AP12? I only have one. Where do you have them in the tank?

I have two nanos in a ten gal and with proper placement the flow is just right. As for your problem why not shave down the impeller?

Most flow issue can be solved by proper placement.

You're right. I have been running this tank for months without the Koralia Nano, and I just re-installed it today ... the unit still looks brand new. I played with the positioning a bit and finally found the sweet spot.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Archived