inTank Media Baskets

Newbie - need skimmer for 20g reef tank

nicuz

I have a 1 week old 20 gallons tank (sand + water). I'd like to keep 2 clowns, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 soft corals (one will be an anemone).

I recently purchased a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer but I will have to return it because it doesn't work properly and it makes way too much noise.

Here's what I am looking for:

- decent protein skimmer (not top of the line but not the worst)

- type: hang-on

- not too hard to install (I'm a beginner)

- not to noisy

- price range: about $150

- optional: I live in Canada so I would prefer (but not necessarily) a Canadian retailer

I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Nick

Then you thought wrong.

You can keep anything even up to some of the more hardy SPS without a skimmer provided you don't overfeed and go semi-regular waterchanges.

False.

+1....I have SPS and no skimmer. Everything is nice and happy including the two clowns and firefish. Staying on top of waterchanges is key.

Thanks for the advice guys. Well this is great news. The skimmers can get pretty expensive.

So do I use just a regular filter or no filter at all?

First figure out what you need to "filter".

Generally you just need:

- tank

- SW

- decent lights

- water movement

- temperature regulation

Everything else is either for special cases or fluff.

Generally you just need:

- tank

- SW

- decent lights

- water movement

- temperature regulation

Everything else is either for special cases or fluff.

Well... He should probably invest in some good live rock don't you think ? This will provide a much more stable mode of biological filtration, not to mention good hiding places for his fish.

If I were you, nicuz, I would probably skip the skimmer for a 20gallon and instead spend a little more ensuring you get high quality live rock, and plenty of it.

Yes of course I have live rocks. My buddy sold his 75g tank and he gave me some of his rocks (he had the rocks for about 1 year). So no filter. Got it. Thank you again for the advice.

Archived