Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquaspacelight Mini Safe?

Naturalreef

Hey,

Just bought a Aquaspacelight Mini with a single 150 watt De with a 10k AB bulb. Awesome fixture by the way.. I heard these bulbs put out a lot of UV rays..UV-a UV-b and UV-c as well as read an article that says it creates ozone? I also understand that you MUST have the UV shield in place which will always be the case..But this article also said that UV glass shields don't protect 100 percent and that there is UV rays that are still harmful to you(maybe not Corals, since they do produce "some" UV protection)

This is a pendent and don't want to build a skirt around the tank for it, and I do have a daughter that loves fish that will be around the tank a lot(with supervision). I tried calling aqua-medic and a girl said it is 100 percent UV glass, which I don't buy.....so my question is, does anyone know how safe this fixture is short term and long term. I don't want to use it if it puts out any harmful rays "with" the UV shield in place. Thanks.....Nick

It is safe. They use borosilicate glass which is as close to 100% UV as possible. Much closer than necessary for safety.

If you are worried, send it to LiQuiD. He's a hard-core product tester, very scientific, very respectable, and in 5 or 10 years he will return it to you with the "LiQuiD Seal Of Approval"* if his skin hasn't fallen off and his eyeballs haven't melted.

* - The "LiQuiD Seal Of Approval" (LSOA) is a trademark of nano-reef.com and may not be used without permission of Christopher Marks.

Thanks for the reply guys.....I'm new to halides and as a new Dad have to take every precaution I can. I'm sure you can understand:) The article just freaked me out a bit saying that even with the Boro glass there are damaging rays being emitted and not only from DE but also from the Moguls. DE being the worst and the AB bulb putting out the most UV.....Anywho appreciate the reply.........

Archived