ReefCleaners.org

Transporting false perc for 36 hours

cblack

I am on vacation in the Washington, DC area (I live in Madison, WI) and we found a really nice LFS here, Marine Scene (www.marinescene.com). We were planning on just buying some rocks and maybe a small polyp to take back with us, but they have some really nice small false percs. The LFS told me they can put it in a bag and charge it with oxygen and garauntee it will last 24 hours, but due to scheduling issues, I was hoping to pick it up sometime Saturday afternoon and head out for our 12-14 hour drive on Sunday morning, which would be more like 36 hours of time for the fish in the bag. Does anyone here have any suggestions or advice on how to do this, or whether it is even a good idea?

We brought a cooler with us, but it will mostly have live rock and a bit of saltwater in it, and I expect the bag will be fairly large. I have heard of getting hotpacks or coldpacks if necessary. The car will probably be around 70F during the trip, but I don't want to cook the fish with too much heat.

if the bag is oxygen charged it should be okay ibut if you order fish online it takes up to or than 24 hours for them to arrive just keep the bag room temp and using the cooler to limit the changes in temp and to darken the fish and polyps to lower there activity is a good idea 70 is a little cool but no harm should come. no need hot pack or cold pack for live fish if you use the cooler

after the long trip just take a little more care on acclimating the fish

lights off

float for temp 15-20min adj.

open bag and add a small amount of water(1/2 cup) to bag every 10-15min to adj ph and salinity to prevent shock untill bag is near full then use a net to put fish in tank and discard water in bag in the sink

leave light off for another hour for the fish to become acclimated good luck I know the feeling of seeing better fish stores away from home then whats available at home

i actually just bought a false perc from them and then moved it to hoboken nj where i go to college. i bought a bucket for them (it was around 4 bucks) and got about 3 gallons of water. i put an airstone in it for the entire time and put a heater until the morning when we had to leave. he made it no problem and we were driving from around 10 - 4 in the afternoon.

by the way i bought a bumble snail from them too. but it was just a hermit crab in a snail shell.... those bastards.

another great place (i think its cheaper) is the reef store in fairfax. www.reefstore.com they got great prices on their stuff

Archived