inTank Media Baskets

Fishboy's 12 Gallon Aquapod

fishboy87

I was just looking back to confirm my ID on the zoanthids and they actually look like blue hornet zoanthids. There are so many different names that I don't know what to think. I think I'll call them alien polyps for their color. I'll try to get more pics with the polyps opened and see if anyone here knows.

well the yasha goby came out for about 5 seconds before the fire shrimp chased him into the rocks. I'm not really worried this will continue because every territory dispute in this tank gradually fizzles out to nothing. I just hope the yasha finds the pistol soon who has now made an exit to his hole. I see his antennae daily but its hard to get a glimpse of the full body. I'll post more pics when the yasha decides to come out and play again.

steelbluezoanthids.jpg

steel blues all opened up

ricordia.jpg

ricordia mushroom moved to top

yasha2.jpg

and look who decided to show his face! Mr. yasha enter stage left. . .

yasha1.jpg

right before he goes back into the rocks (it was feeding time)

fireshrimp.jpg

fire shrimp, didn't think I ever showed a picture

comments, critiques, etc. blah blah welcome! ;)

JAGarciaOfTroy

Very nice chief, I also have a ap 12 and I hate every proton of it. I've replaced everything on it and am running modified lights. I've had mixed results overall so I am quite impressed with your work.

cool, thanks alot! What mod of lights are you running? I'm shooting to put a 150 halide over it soon

Geez! I feel like I'm talking to myself when I make these posts! How would you think my torch would do if/when I upgrade my lights. Would it bleach away or should I trade in and get some sps or something?

On another note, my yasha is getting even more used to the tank! Hopefully he'll find the pistol soon! I'm very happy how both have survived. Did I mention the pair was $150.00 store price! Insane. . .luckily I got 50% off. Shouldn't these guys be like $70 or something?

the pistol died :( I found him in the filter chamber alive and burrowing in the little sand in there. I tried to get him out and he swam into the prptein skimmer chamber. He got into it without dying and I tried to get him out of that. I put it into a bowl of water change water ( I should have used tank water) and I think he got stunned by all of this. His swimmerets were still going a little when I got him into the bowl so I put him back into the tank. I kept the filter off in hopes he would start to move a little more and a bristle worm came out and took the shimp into his hole before I could get the tweezers and before I could fend off the bristle worm. :( Not very fortunate happenings (especially for the shrimp) I'm going to see if I could trade in the leather frags for a new shrimp so I have my fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

So couple new things are happening/going to happen soon.

I added a koralia nano to the upper right corner so I will be good for flow when I start with some sps (acropora/montipora). That is enough for them right- stock pump and k. nano?

$50-75 away from being able to get the metal halide BUT I realized I'd be saving some $ if I wait to get enough $ for a skimmer. What skimmer works est for the back chambers in an AP12?

I realized that since I want to suspend a metal halide with a yasha goby, I need to have a glass cover modded to fit the tank. . .so I need even more $.

My LFS said they'd order another pistol- either a tiger or candy stripe.

So I'm hoping that the tank will be how I finally like it in 6 mos. I'm in no rush so I can enjoy it and grow out the corals I have now so I can trade them in for some sps or a clam possibly. So if anyone could answer the q's, that would be great. :)

I like to run my ap12 without the glass top. For some reason, I just enjoy it better.

using k2 150w viper and current nova 2x18w t5ho

Cuboy- I'd like it too but with a jumping goby, I wouldn't want to risk it. What corals are you growing in there? Any LPS near the light as I might have this situation with my frogspawn

Good news- the LFS said they got 2 shrimp comin in for Thurs.

Bad news- my frogspawn began to recede and the end tentacles of some began to inflate. I temporarily turned off the koralia and tried to angle it away. One of the head's skeleton actually began to recede so it became visible. I know the pump was the cause as the heads closest were the most receded.

Question- can water flow be like light-corals just need time to acclimate? If so, how should I go about running the koralia? I figure this isn't how sps will react. . .my pocillipora doesn't seem affected so this just tells me I should get the leathers and frogspawn out fast.

Question #2- is the frogspawn likely to bleach when I upgrade my light? I don't want to move it to the sand as I plan on putting a monti cap there. My LFS said they would take trades and I saw that they had a red planet for sale for $75!

Any answers to the Q's would be great!

westcoastreefer84

You've got a nice lookin ap there, you really have utilized space, your corals look good in there, could definatley use more color, but whatever your doing must work

I too have some frogspawn, they seem to be really hardy, I think you need to let it acclimate to the extra flow of your koralia, I wouldn't recommend direct flow on your coral

I also don't think you will have any bleaching of your corals if you acclimate them to the mh light, start off with a few hours at a time, for the first week and gradually ad an hour every 3-5 days till you reach the recommended photoperiod, which would only be 6-8 hours on a tank that size

I've read your thread, u seem to have a lot of questions, you should read more, google has been my best friend, any topic or question I've had interest in, I just search it with the word reef in the query

But again, your ap looks great, I wish mine looked that good, I have mine in the bedroom, its just bare

You can see in the link in my signature to my ap12 how I have my corals placed.

my frogspawn went from 36w pc to 36 w t5ho to 150w mh.

when you first get your mh setup, position it high above the water 8" maybe? and slowly move it down to acclimate lighting. Also use shorter light periods.

5 hrs for a few days 6 hrs for a few days. etc

I have my frogspawn at the very top right next to my knano, seems to be loving it. color isn't as green as I first got it, perhaps it's getting bleached. Right now, I have no where else to place it =/

it was stinging my candy canes, so it went back up top.

thanks for the great replies!

westcoastreef- thanks alot! Yes, I do realize I have alot of questions but google usually doesn't have answers to my exact questions which-by my experience-can lead to large differences.

cuboy- thanks for the answer. . .how did you get your frogspawn to acclimate to the flow from the k-nano?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally collected enough funds for the light! Going to start selling the leathers and torch soon. I'm mainly going for colorful rics, zoas, and sps. I like the look of the zoas from xiongaquatics so I might try there when I get enough funds for there. Anyone have experience from that place? Oh, the shrimp came in to the store dead so I'm still waiting. . .should be next Thurs.

How high should I suspend the light at the start and what is my limit for how close it can go? It's a 150 watt sundial pendant w/ 2x32 watt actinics.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I already posted this but with the loss of the recent posts in that error so I'll post it again. . .

well thanks to a temp spike my torch died. It's sitting in a FW bucket right now to get all of the gunk out.

I finally got the light too! The stand didn't work for the hanging arms because the back is made of particle board and keeping nails in it would be hell. So I switched out the stand w/ another one I had laying round. Nailing the arms to the back of the stand put the light too far in front of the light so I attached 2 wooden beams to the back and nailed the arms to that. I flip the light on and holy cow. . .I mean, there's bright and then there is this. I still have to find some mesh-like material for light acclimation but I'm in no rush.

I have a chiller coming that should arrive tomorrow/Thurs so once I get that set up, I can do more in-the-tank work. I jut have trouble getting the hood off. Is there a certain area where it can unhinge or do I have to cut it off?

• 2 weeks later...

My goby died :( No signs of remains but usually he'd come to eat or at least be seen so I can only assume the worst.

On the bright side though. My LFS sent my a 40% off coupon and they still had a lonely goby shrimp pair at the store (they've been there since I got my first pair!) I got the pair and 1 clam that that they also had for sale! The first goby likely died as a result of the fluctuating temperatures and actual water quality likely isn't the culprit. I'll have pictures up by tomorrow once my camera charges.

Archived