Top Shelf Aquatics

flavia brain coral, dying ?

shermantt2001

shermantt2001

seems my flavia brain coral is on its last breath. The edges are receeding, and some parts look like it has dried up. Any possible suggestions on how to reverse this?

originally i thought there was too much current in the tank, so i lowered the current settting to low and placed it away from the coral, but seems its getting worse ...

setup

2x32watt CSL

76-78F

1.023 sg

NH3/NO2 = 0ppm

N03 = 10-20 ppm

Phoshpate = 1.0

calcium = 400

get rid of the rest of the PO4. use Poly-Filters or wc's. if you're using phosguard or similar i'd stop and use the two methods above.

also make sure your ca and alk are good. pH needs to be 8.2 or higher during the day.

what's the area the 2x32W are covering? (i.e. tank size/dimensions)

shermantt2001

i've been doing 10% wc, twice a week now. The tank size is 7gal mini-bow. The coral is about mid-way in the tank close to the corner. Maybe i need to move it closer to the top ?

thks for the help ....

test your makeup water.

mid-way in the tank close to the corner
mid-way high? should be ok light-wise. even if it was on the substrate actually (it's only a 7g bow)

dosing anything? feeding?

i agree with caja, you might want to back off on the wc's. stress is a critical part of coral health too. your readings are unusual for that many wc's too. how old is the setup and what other livestock do you have in there?

shermantt2001

i cant remember how old my setup is, around 4-5 months. Currently i have 3 turbo snails, 5 blue-leg hermit crabs, 1 o.clown fish, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 bicolor blenny, anemone, leather coral, bubble coral, and gsp ...

no real feeding, i was tolding he only needed sunlight .... i dose twice a week with calcium additives ...

when i asked my lfs guy, he suggested doing 2 wc a week to see if that would help. also i have been getting this red slimey bacteria as of late. I had to siphon that out ....

he suggested doing 2 wc a week to see if that would help.
that's ok then, as a preventive measure against the situation. i think caja and i were thinking the same thing that that was your normal routine. a bit much but doable still.

no real feeding, i was tolding he only needed sunlight
not true, photosyn provides sugars but protein/tissue (i.e. growth/reproduct.) needs input. i don't feed my trachs but they're in a much bigger system which easily provides available plankton to them. actually, i'm thinking of supplementing them still, one looks a little 'off'.

the tank's a little young (stablilized?) but more importantly it's a little crowded imo. the bio-load of the fishes, what kind of anemone, what kind of leather (some slime a LOT), and the bubble coral's trailing stingers; are all possible culprits, individually, let alone en masse as they are now.

is the bubble upwind or downwind of the brain? if it's upwind (i.e. its stingers can drift toward the brain) then that's my bet. same would go for the anemone. otherwise i'd lower the fish count. btw, i would definitely think about running carbon and skimming in addition to the wc's. good luck!

shermantt2001

well i dont remember type of anemone, but its a white tip anemone, leather finger coral. and the bubble coral was upwind. i moved the brain to a better location, higher up so it wouldnt be affected by any corals.

i think my next bet would be getting a skimmer. right now im using carbon,b ut probably have to change it by now ;)

cool thks for the help. much appreciated ...

carbon should be changed weekly imo. any longer and it's saturated and more useful as a biological media than chemical media due to its enormous surface area.

a skimmer will definitely help as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My favia coral is also having the same problem. The LFS recently gave him to me for free as he was half dead and they didnt want it in their display tank. So i took it and what has worked for me is after teh lights go out, i feed whitebait and green prawns every 2nd day with a turkey baster.

It has only been in their a week and its looking better. Considering that the tank has just finished cycling and over hear in australia we have pretty crappy aquarium lighting. Im just running 2x 18w 18000k Lights w/ Actinics and its doing fine in my 15g. Lets just hope he pulls through!

Good Luck!

Archived