Pod Your Reef

Questions about RO/DI?

JeremeyN

I am curious... At my Wal-Mart they sell RO water (Culligan) and It can fill a 5 gallon container i like 3-5 minutes.... and a RO/DI system at home takes like forever to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Am I missing something or is the Culligan water just strait tap with no filtration???

Thanks,

Jer

The machine has a resivor that it pumps from so water is ready on demand for the customer

When you have a ro/di system at home for a reef you need to have water ready for use priort to actually needing it.

The machine has a reservoir that it pumps from so water is ready on demand for the customer

When you have a ro/di system at home for a reef you need to have water ready for use prior to actually needing it.

Ok... which makes sense... So what kind of set up would you recommend for a 60 gallon tank???? I live with Well Water... don't know the TDS reading on it ....but I do know the last tank I had grew algae like none other... So I want to have the best water I can without worrying about algae infestation. I want to keep the price range under $250 if possible. I have a Laundry basin sink that I can easily put a 5 gallon bucket in and I think this would be the best place to put the RO/DI system.

I have a picture of my last tank with no RO/DI system... with a simple water change.(Below)

post-38396-1237101047_thumb.jpg

:o

WOW! Yes, use RO/DI only on this new tank. You can find one for around $130 to suit your needs. After the set up you will need to have about 10 gallons on hand to do water changes/top offs. ON a 60 gallon you wil be changing about 6 gallons a wee when the tank is young so your RO will be able to keep up.

I can't recommend anything specific but most here like the mighty mite sold on ebay for about $125. Also check out

http://www.airwaterice.com/

They are a sponsor here and sell everything you need for a RO system.

You may want to have the collection bucket on the side or under teh sink and the water water hose going down the drain. Whatever works for you.

:o That's some serious algae...

You should also check out Purely H2O. They have a 4 stage kit with full 10" canisters and a 75 GPD membrane for $149. Everywhere else I looked, a system like this $230+. I also got the drinking water kit ($60) that comes with an auto shutoff, a 5th filter, and a 3 gallon storage tank so I always have water ready for top-offs. B)

Just throwing this out there, I have this unit and have been very pleased with it. I've recommended it to others who also have had good success with it.

>RO/DI Unit< LINK

Do you have the DI mounted on top like the picture, if so, do you get banding of the resin?

Scott Riemer
Do you have the DI mounted on top like the picture, if so, do you get banding of the resin?

I assume you mean "channeling". I actually ran it for a year horizontally. I did get some "liquidization" of the DI resin in the first DI chamber. Still always got 0 TDS Now they are tightly packed and turned vertical.

If you have the space for it, you may consider getting a larger storage vessel. It's nice to be able to do a 50% or larger water change every once in a great while, or if something unfortunate happens in your tank. For that size tank I'd say a 55g BRUTE would be perfect. You can find these at restaurant supply stores for a good price.

2655_Gray_Lid_sm.jpg

972-008.JPG

My old routine was to fill this with a float valve and auto shutoff and then dump in a bag of IO salt. I had premeasured so I knew how much water would make 1.025 with exactly one bag of salt mix. Add airstone, heater, powerhead. Come back a day later and you're good to go.

Thanks all... Now I see that the few recommendations all have no delivery method... I cant have a 55 gallon can in my house so I ll have to stick to 5 gallon Culligan containers or buckets. So what do I need to set it up with its own Faucet... The one Scott recommended is just the stand alone. and Thermosts was the same way... Is there a way to have a 6-10 gallon reservoir? Otherwise I hear it takes forever to make water on the fly. Which is fine compared to the water I currently have.

Thanks,

Jer

The long yellow hose has a ball valve at the end that I run over to my tank that I use for mixing SW. I also use it sometimes to top-off the tank.

3357018999_f0b43465ff.jpg?v=0

I have a 3.2 gallon storage tank but you can buy larger storage tanks. I did a quick search and found this site: RO Storage Tanks

Scott Riemer
Thanks all... Now I see that the few recommendations all have no delivery method... I cant have a 55 gallon can in my house so I ll have to stick to 5 gallon Culligan containers or buckets. So what do I need to set it up with its own Faucet... The one Scott recommended is just the stand alone. and Thermosts was the same way... Is there a way to have a 6-10 gallon reservoir? Otherwise I hear it takes forever to make water on the fly. Which is fine compared to the water I currently have.

Thanks,

Jer

Use a 13 gallon can instead of a 55 then.

Archived