inTank Media Baskets

My DIY LED build

frakthem

I wonder why you had to raise the acrylic splash guard. Did you use the aluminum brackets like in my thread? I've got at least 1/2" between my LEDs and the splashguard. It looks like the weather stripping does the trick though.

I think I'm gonna stick a moonlight in mine as well since I'll be holding off on the arduino controller. Good use of existing materials!

I think I mounted the heatsink to far off the hood. I went with 1.5" up from the mounting holes in the center, what the stock reflector was mounted to. There is probably 1/2" between the HS fins and the bracket.

I noticed something when comparing your setup to mine. My fins are running side to side and yours are running front to back. I have noticed that the airflow with the stock fan locations have a better chance of cooling as they will be forced to pull across the heatsink. I also didn't have to modify anything in the hood to get it to fit, didn't cut anything. The only mod was mounting the stock power distro unit for the moonlights and the fans to the back wall (was lazy and just wanted to use the stock plugs for the power distro).

All said and done, I am very pleased with the setup. It is clean and easy to tweak going forward. My only gripe is that with my lazyness (and the size of my powersupply) I am using 3 plugs to power the hood. Lights, Fans, Moonlights.. Still better than the 4 I was using before. Thanks for doing all the hard work for us!

Archived