Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need help picking a sump pump

dreboogie

I need some options on a cheap sump pump. Going from a 10 gal sump to a frag tank.

Requirements:

I would prefer a submersible pump so I can avoid drilling the sump.

1. Pump needs to be able to pump 160 gph to 230 gph @ a height of 5 feet.

I am going to run a Bulk Reef Supply single canister media reactor with Phosphate media and carbon between the sump and the tank with this pump. Is that a good idea? When I had it running between my tank and fuge, I was getting too much debris in the sponges, I figured with the setup I suggested, it would get the "cleanest" water.

what can I get on a reasonable budget.

at 5 feet you are going to need something with a little bit of power, maybe a mag 3, check out their flow charts, i don't know about running it through your reactor it maybe to much flow

I need some options on a cheap sump pump. Going from a 10 gal sump to a frag tank.

Requirements:

I would prefer a submersible pump so I can avoid drilling the sump.

1. Pump needs to be able to pump 160 gph to 230 gph @ a height of 5 feet.

I am going to run a Bulk Reef Supply single canister media reactor with Phosphate media and carbon between the sump and the tank with this pump. Is that a good idea? When I had it running between my tank and fuge, I was getting too much debris in the sponges, I figured with the setup I suggested, it would get the "cleanest" water.

what can I get on a reasonable budget.

there needs to be a lil more info...what size are the frag tank and sump?? and how did you figure out 160gph??

what kind of frags do you plan to keep?? are you going to have a sump/refugium or sump only??

oh and the reactor should be run off a seperate pump. i beleive the bulk reef supply unit needs a maxi jet 1200 i tinks.

provide some more info, and we would be glad to help!

Jersky, frag tank is a 30", 29 gal AGA. Sump is 10 gal AGA. I should probably call it a fuge since that is what it will mainly be.

I figured the 160 gph because that is what BRS recommends for a single canister reactor. (maxijet 900).

And the intake for the canister chamber will be at the height of 5 feet. Then gravity fed down into my frag tank.

I plan on having LPS, T5 friendly SPS, probably some Zoa's and not sure what else. I will have other powerheads (Koralia?) for flow inside the frag tank.

As I am writing this, I am thinking that the higher I have to pump the water, the more expensive this is going to get. It might be cheaper for me to just move the tank farther away from the wall so the 10 Gal fuge can sit behind it. That probably solves it for me, then I can just use the Maxi-jet for both.

qwiksilver711
Jersky, frag tank is a 30", 29 gal AGA. Sump is 10 gal AGA. I should probably call it a fuge since that is what it will mainly be.

I figured the 160 gph because that is what BRS recommends for a single canister reactor. (maxijet 900).

And the intake for the canister chamber will be at the height of 5 feet. Then gravity fed down into my frag tank.

I plan on having LPS, T5 friendly SPS, probably some Zoa's and not sure what else. I will have other powerheads (Koralia?) for flow inside the frag tank.

As I am writing this, I am thinking that the higher I have to pump the water, the more expensive this is going to get. It might be cheaper for me to just move the tank farther away from the wall so the 10 Gal fuge can sit behind it. That probably solves it for me, then I can just use the Maxi-jet for both.

if you need a canister filter pm me, I've got one in my garage

Archived