Cultivated Reef

Reliable low-cost timer?

pbenner

Scott Riemer
Can anyone point me to a reliable low-cost timer please?

Best,

Paul

Are you talking about something like THIS ? Available @ Home Depot/Lowes.

I use several of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95205

goes on sale for $7 from time to time. same item's price becomes $20 when sold as a n aquarium timer.

the best part is it does not lose its programming when you unplug it and you can program different schedule for different days of week (like turn on lights earlier on weekends) which the more expensive Aquacontroller and the older Reefkeepers cannot do.

I use several of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95205

goes on sale for $7 from time to time. same item's price becomes $20 when sold as a n aquarium timer.

the best part is it does not lose its programming when you unplug it and you can program different schedule for different days of week (like turn on lights earlier on weekends) which the more expensive Aquacontroller and the older Reefkeepers cannot do.

Good find.. I would love to find one that could do timing for each plug..

$3.99

i have the cheapo timer from walmart... been working like a charm for well over 6 months. lights turn on & off everyday & consistently @ the same time everyday. Can almost set my watch to it. There is a +/- 1 minute variation.

but for 3.99 i could care less

just make sure when u buy it you get the prong version because they come in both and man was i mad when i got home and realized i grabbed the wrong one. unless of coarse you only need a 2 prong :)

If you want a timer just for lights, any of them are good, if you want something more precise for dosing, you will want to make sure you get one of the electronic units so you can have it turn on and off by 1 minute increments.

Kim

Archived