inTank Media Baskets

Scum on top of water from skimmer

Quick

Hey guys,

So recently with my tank, I have noticed a little bit of scum developing on the top of the tank. I thought that it was from not enough surface agitation so I aimed a powerhead towards the top, but the scum would only clear up in a small area. Anyways, yesterday I unplugged my skimmer for an hour or so because I was trying to clean out some of the crap in it and I noticed that top of the water was almost perfectly clear. Why would my skimmer be causing this scum on the surface? It is a CPR bak-pak 2 if it matters. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

not_sponsored

Probably because that is not a surface skimming skimmer, it pulls water up from the middle of the tank and spits it out at the top. If you want to increase the efficiency of your skimmer you could try building a small overflow box for the pump to go in like the remora box.

AC3323_1.jpg

I do have a hang on tank refugium with a surface skimmer. But I may look into something like that as well. Also, I noticed today that since I have turned on the skimmer earlier this morning, there is still no film on the water. I was running a sponge in the output of the skimmer to stop microbubbles, think that could have been my problem? I did clean it regularly, but it was still a little dirty..

Well, it is back. There is a light oily looking film on top of the surface again. I think I am going to buy this product and see if it can help with my bubble problem and the surface problem.

post-41331-1236966540.jpg

Archived