Pod Your Reef

options for pump for Aquapod 12

prestage3ek

prestage3ek

So I have a 12g Aquapod. Up until this point I have just been using the pump that comes with the unit, I believe its rated for 160gph or something. Today I added one of those Hydor rotating flow heads, and it seems to have reduced my flow for whatever reason, thats just what I am noticing. What do other AP 12 owners use for pumps to help with increased flow. I was looking on DRF&S and just couldnt really find anything I think would work. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

prestage3ek
In my NC 12, I upgraded to a Maxijet 1200.

Kim

to me that just seems like a lot, I dont know, in my 29g I have a MJ600 and a 1200 but tank dimensions are 30 x 12 x 18 so it works out to where its not excessive flow

I will say it is hard to have to much flow in a reef tank. You can have to high of a velocity jet, but to much total flow is very hard to do. My NC 12 as the maxi 1200 in the return area and I think a maxijet 900 up front to create more flow.

Kim

prestage3ek
I will say it is hard to have to much flow in a reef tank. You can have to high of a velocity jet, but to much total flow is very hard to do. My NC 12 as the maxi 1200 in the return area and I think a maxijet 900 up front to create more flow.

Kim

I dont want to blow everything around though. When you have such a small volume of space, I would think that would be easy to do. I put a frogspawn in there and for like a week I was having to mess with the nozzles so they werent blowing the thing around and that was with the stock pump.

Are you guys using the stock y loc line with the 900? I put the flo and a 900 in my tank and had a problem with the sand blowing away in the front and no flow in the left side of the tank. I have since removed everything and just letting the pump blast through the fitting in the false wall.

MJ900 in mine. And I'm using the stock loc-line. I had a Hydor FLO installed but wasn't happy with the results. And it was noisy. I use a Koralia Nano to increase flow.

Maxi-Jet 900, 230gph. ;)
^ This

It's more flow and fewer watts than the stock pump. I was having trouble with high temps and it dropped the temp in my AP12 by 4 degrees.

Archived