inTank Media Baskets

Ammonia?

syaeger

A few days ago I discovered that my Red Spotted Linkia Star and Turbo Snail went to the big sea in the sky. I tested my water. Everything was OK except the ammonia was at 1.0 PPM. I added Ammo Lock 2 to neutralize the ammonia and did a 50% water change. I have been testing daily and the ammonia level has remained about the same. My plan has been to add Ammo Lock 2 daily and do a 5 G water change every three days until the level reaches 0 PPM. So far my critters seem OK. Is what I'm doing OK? Are there any other suggestions you may have?

20 G Nano Reef Tank

Here's some more info on my tank. I setup a 10 G Nano in July 2003. I setup a 20 G Nano two weeks ago and transfered all my critters to it. I did not have any ammonia spikes until the star and snail died. Here are my tank specs:

Tank Specs:

20 Gal

Aquatec 5-15 HOB Filter

Penguin 550 PH

Micro Jet PH

100 W Ebo-Jager Heater

Coralife 96 W PC Quad Unit

35 lbs LR

Live Sand/DSB

Livestock:

1 Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Bicolor Pseudochromis

1 Green Clown Goby

1 Yellowtail Damsel

1 Green Chromis

1 Sand Sifting Star

Hermit Crabs

Astrea Snails

Bumble Bee Snails

2 Emerald Crabs

1 Mangrove Clam

1 Flame Scallop

Pipe Organ Coral

Mushroom Coral

Colony Polyp Coral

Button Polyp Coral

Branching Alveopora Coral

Starburst Polyp Coral

Ball Sponge

as far as I know ALL additives that "lower" and/or "remove" Ammonia don't actually remove or lower anything. Most additives bond to the ammonia in the tank and make it... not harmful.

If you have 2ppm ammonia in a tank then add a reducer like Detox, ammo lock, etc you will still have 2ppm of ammonia it just won't be as toxic.

Constant water canges are your best bet. However, if you have removed/killed the biological filter some how (heavy, heavy cleanings or several chemical changes) your tank will start the cycling process again as if it were a new tank.

Archived