Pod Your Reef

Corals, Lighting, and Kelvin . . . Oh My!

DSparks

What corals can I keep with . . . Just kidding. I know that you all get a ton of these. I guess the better question would be:

Where can I go to see a list of corals and their lighting requirements, including things like wattage per gallon, color spectrum, Kelvin (is this the same as spectrum?), etc? For instance, I am building my own hood and I've installed 76 Watts of 6500K Daylight and 13 Watts of 10,000K Actinic. The hood will go over a 10 gallon tank. From what I've read on these boards, 8.9 Watts/gallon should be plenty to support a wide range of corals (and maybe even a clam???), but I'm not sure about the Kelvin rating. Do different corals require different Kelvin ratings? Anyway, now that you see what I'm looking for, maybe you can help point me to a source for this information (if it exists, that is).

Thanks in advance for your help!

ELGORDOINAVW

ok kelvin is on almost every bulb, 6500k means 6500 kelvin. 10k means 10,000 kevlin. the higher the k rating the more blue the light puts out. a 6500k bulbs puts out some yellow light that is why most people will supplement actinic.

ELGORDOINAVW

the watt to gallon rule is old what matters these days is lumen output. now you mention using 10,000k actinic in supplement of your 6500k, is the 13 watt a 50/50? half 10,000k and actinic.

Archived