ReefCleaners.org

Best flow?

twichstile

I have a 20L and about to add a sump with closed loop...

I am just curious how many times flow I should make?

I will have 36" of head and will also use my AC70 for a tiny refugium but cut its flow to practically nothing.

I noticed on el fabs pico he has the AC70 plus a 65gph....that like 165gph even after tuning down the AC???

Thats 55x turnover and he has a very successful tank!! Even if the AC was tuned down to 50gph he would have like 33x.

I know they say 10-20 times turnover, Melev says 10-15 times Should I go over just to be cool/safe??

I am shooting for mixed reef, minimal fish, lots of LR, 10gal sump, gl#######s supernano kit, Mag_____? and a SCWD......HELP! Thanks

-David

Are you planning to have a fuge in the sump also? Or is it just for holding equipment? If you have a fuge down there, you don't want a lot of flow through the sump. Leave the bulk of the flow to the closed loop.

I think the turnover rates are falling a little behind the times. A typical mixed reef setup in a 20L nowadays is running one, maybe two Koralia 1s or higher for 400-800+ gph. Thats a 20-40x turnover, and not that uncommon. With our smaller tanks, the scales are a little different, and we have to adjust those rules to accomodate.

200-300gph through the sump (after head loss), and another 600-800gph through the closed loop should be a good setup if the flow from the output nozzles is broad and diffused.

Archived