inTank Media Baskets

Skimmer for big tank!

w1dude

I am trying to decide what skimmer to get on my 150. The things I am taking into consideration

-My sump is only 20g so I would like to get an out of sump skimmer to save space, but what I am coming to find that in-sump skimmers are better? (is that true)

-I want to spend under like $300-400. The lower the better! But i want something good!

You could look into something like the Octopus NW200. There aren't going to be too make HOB skimmers that will deal with that tank size. Any chance of making a bigger sump at some point?

You could look into something like the Octopus NW200. There aren't going to be too make HOB skimmers that will deal with that tank size. Any chance of making a bigger sump at some point?

+1, I love octo skimmers. Another good budget skimmer would be a bubble magnus.

You're going to have to keep the water level in a 20g sump to a minimum on a 150. If not, then you run a major flood risk whenever there is a power outtage. Fwiw, I run a 20g sump on my 40g that holds approximately ~12g and when my return pump and skimmer are turned off it fills to within 1/2" of the top. I'd be in big trouble if I had a larger display.

My siphon breaks are high, so it allows me to keep it high (level of sump). I have done the test!

Evil: I want to upgrade size, but the stand is a big cube shape and dont think there will be room.

I will look into the octo, I hear the vertex are very similar to them, but cheaper?

Know anything about the vertex?

Thanks guys!

if you want to run something outside the sump, ETSS

inside the sump Bubble Magus is very nice, the Octopus NW or Extreme, There are usually good deals to be had on Euro-Reefs, Also the ETSS Sump Buddy.

The differences you hear about between in and out of sump skimmers most has to do with HOB vs.Sump. Since sump overflows pull water from the top of the tank it is usually the most organic filled making the sump water conditions the worse, so the skimmer preforms better, so an in sump vs. out of sump but still fed by the sump is the same.

if you want to run something outside the sump, ETSS

inside the sump Bubble Magus is very nice, the Octopus NW or Extreme, There are usually good deals to be had on Euro-Reefs, Also the ETSS Sump Buddy.

The differences you hear about between in and out of sump skimmers most has to do with HOB vs.Sump. Since sump overflows pull water from the top of the tank it is usually the most organic filled making the sump water conditions the worse, so the skimmer preforms better, so an in sump vs. out of sump but still fed by the sump is the same.

i have a octopus 110 and it runs great but i have a water volume of about 80g.

for you i say the nw's oe extreme aswell.

If you can fit it into the sump, I would suggest the Octopus NW -200 or Extreme 200. Or you could go with the DNW-200 for outside of the sump,

Those are all needlewheel skimmers and work very well for the money. You could go with the Extreme 160 as well, but I would say it is a little undersized for 150+ gallon tank, same for the NW-150.

Or if you can find a good used needlewheel skimmer you should still be able to stay in your budget.

Kim

Archived