ReefCleaners.org

Mag float problem?

MrHermitCrab

MrHermitCrab

Does anyone have a problem with the mag floats scratching the aquarium glass? I have a 12g nano and it seems like every time I use the mag float to clean the glass it scratches my glass.

qwiksilver711
Does anyone have a problem with the mag floats scratching the aquarium glass? I have a 12g nano and it seems like every time I use the mag float to clean the glass it scratches my glass.

I dont have any problem at all. did you put the one with no logo on the inside?

MrHermitCrab
I dont have any problem at all. did you put the one with no logo on the inside?

Yes. I thought maybe I had sand on it so I cleaned but there was nothing on it.

Tanque Verde
if it is 100% free of sand then are you sure you have a glass tank and not acrylic?

+1. If you're tank is glass, not acrylic, then my guess is there are some particles in your scrubbing pad. Especially beware of particles, magnetic or otherwise, that blend in color with your scrubbing pad.

If your tank is acrylic, you need the acrylic magfloat (bluish green).

On my mag float the outside pad wore down and started to scratch the outside glass.my quick fix was to put a napkin under it when i cleaned.

+1. If you're tank is glass, not acrylic, then my guess is there are some particles in your scrubbing pad. Especially beware of particles, magnetic or otherwise, that blend in color with your scrubbing pad.

+1 although i had the acrylic for an acrylic tank, and it still scratched the s*** out of the tank.

MrHermitCrab

Thanks for the info I think thats the problem I have a nano cube and I believe its acrylic. I only saw one mag float so I bought it I thought it was universal or something.

+1 although i had the acrylic for an acrylic tank, and it still scratched the s*** out of the tank.

Is it better to not use a mag float? My acrylic brush I use to clean the glass when I do water changes doesn't seem to have this problem.I just liked the convenience of the mag float.

My NC is glass, But if you get any silica sand on the magnet it will scratch the glass.

You have to make sure the inside magnet is completely clean before you start cleaning.

Kim

Archived