Coral Vue Hydros

Metal Halide Hood !!!

Mnesarchus

:woot:

My hood is done! I just hung it from the cieling and now the bad boy is illuminating (among other things) my 50g.

Finished Hood:

hood2.jpg

Made from Aspen, stained cherry color.

The whole inside is lined with mirror finish stainless steel.

hood.jpg

inside.jpg

Hanging above the tank:

fullShot.jpg

full_close.jpg

Metal Halide = Fun. Fans cooling it on both sides.

closeup.jpg

Liverock is looking nice under the light too:

rocks.jpg

I am working on a how to and I will post it later.

Yeah it's all hand built from scratch (other than fans and ballast). One fan blows air on to the head of the bulb, and one sucks warm air out on the otherside.

< from the horses mouth of a semi Master hood builder.....

FN;' NIIICEEEEEE ! d00d !

that is tite!

slap some parabolic Louver over your tank, and intensify that light by 33 % and its "Acro City".

Hows that skimmer doing I sent ya : :)

I donno who told U that PLEXI GLASS WAS OK, bbbuuttt....

its ASS.

Plexi will warp and discolir soon with PAR and U/V not tomention that it will release noxious fumes once heated to high... and it seems you halides are in a shallow hood with tome faily low CFM circulation.... I'd consider OPEN VENTING the hood, or at least throwing some 1/4 inch glass under it as a precautionary...... then again, some slipglass would be better to keep splashes and "jumping fish " from messing up ;)

Very nice. If I could offer a tip? If you lower the pendant about 1-2 inches, it will help clear up some of the stray light and will also increase the light into the tank.

Either way, looks very good. B)

Oh, ok ESPI. I would say leave it open, not like he is using DE bulbs. Leave it open, it will cool better, no? A SE bulb has the UV jacket already built in so why put another piece of glass in the way (agreed though about the acrylic ESPI).

Archived