Innovative Marine Aquariums

Where should my heater be?

here fishy fishy

here fishy fishy

Okay, so I'm setting up a CAD 39 sig. I put the heater in the 4th chamber with the return pump...so now that chamber is +82 degrees, and the tank is 72. I don't think there is room in the skimmer/UV chamber (and may run into heat issues there too), could fit in the fuge, but is that okay? Or should it just be in the main tank?

I just filled it yesterday, thats why the tank is so cold. I wasn't running any equipment while I was waiting for sand dust to settle, so I'm just running into this tonight.

Help plz! TIA!

fishy

disaster999

huh? you are not running any pump or equipment and just running the heating in the return chamber and expect the water temp through out to be the same???

just run the pump and let water circulate. eventually the temperature will rise and even out through out the tank. word of advice, do not rely on the temperature marks on the heater. they are highly inaccurate and will make your tank temp too high or low. get a digital thermometer and adjust the heater accordingly.

also, i would not put the heater in the return chambers. if the water level gets too low, part of the heater will be out of the water and will cause some problems.

If water is circulating around there shouldn't be a temperature difference unless you are putting the probe very close to the heater while it is on, but that is a false reading.

Put it in a higher flow area and keep your temp probe away so you get a true reading of the tank water temp.

After re-reading sounds like the pump wasn't on, so your reading is false because there is no water passing by the heater.

Do not place the heater in your fancy new media rack :P

The other problem with no pumps is while the display stays cold, the rear will be hotter than you'd like. Keep the pumps on and the sand will still settle. Also there should be a chamber where the water level is fairly constant, every AIO I've owned including my custom one, has a chamber that will remain at a fairly constant level. Good luck!!

here fishy fishy
huh? you are not running any pump or equipment and just running the heating in the return chamber and expect the water temp through out to be the same???

just run the pump and let water circulate. eventually the temperature will rise and even out through out the tank. word of advice, do not rely on the temperature marks on the heater. they are highly inaccurate and will make your tank temp too high or low. get a digital thermometer and adjust the heater accordingly.

also, i would not put the heater in the return chambers. if the water level gets too low, part of the heater will be out of the water and will cause some problems.

No, I mean I wasn't running the heater either, everything was off. When the heater was on the pump was on. It seems to have caught up now and the temp has evened out.

Thanks for the thermometer advice, I did pick one up. Love the alarms for temp too high or low!

Archived