Pod Your Reef

palythoa and protopalythoa??

darwin604

Just wondering what the difference between palythoa and protopalythoa polyps are. I've heard one can be toxic and the other is safer. I'm looking at some zoo's for my tank right now and I'd like to get something thats not gonna sting me or my livestock.

thanks.

d.

I've done some research but I havnen't figured out weather theres a difference between PROTOpalythoa and palythoa. Apparently protopaleotha is a Zoanthid sp. and palythoa is a Palythoa sp. . . its just really confusing me. The bottom line is my 12 year old brother helps me with my tank so I want to keep the stinging and strange toxic critters to a minimum. The reason I ask is because I really like some zoanthids at my LFS and I keep hearing all sorts of stuff about them being toxic . . so I want to find out before I buy.

d.

palythoa are toxic. the most complex organic molecule to be synthesized in the lab is palytoxin - modeled after palythoa taken from hawaii.

protopalythoa are things like "yellow polyps"

With the palythoa, they are usually larger polyps , sometimes w/ longer stalk , sometimes a larger "head" . I recently added 2 species of palthoa , on hawaiian , and another unidentified. I have had no probs w/ passing out or anything. I also added a bunch of zoos , ( proto ? ) Think about it this way, they wont be eating out of your hand, you dont need to touch them except to move them ( try ot to touch the middles , the colors will wipe away) and they arent very fun to play catch with, plus I only know 1 recipie for zoos, and that isn't very tasty , so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus the article states that the animal customs board doesn't allow toxic varieties to enter the country, but even if one did, chances it being opisonous, are pretty low. Have fun with it:D I Love Zoos!!!

Originally posted by birdman204

With the palythoa, they are usually larger polyps , sometimes w/ longer  stalk , sometimes a larger "head" .  I recently added 2 species of palthoa ,  on hawaiian , and another unidentified.  I have had no probs w/ passing out or anything.  I also added a bunch of zoos ,  ( proto ? )  Think about it this way,  they wont be eating out of your hand,  you dont need to touch them except to move them ( try ot to touch the middles , the colors will wipe away)  and they arent very fun to play catch with,  plus I only know 1 recipie for zoos,  and that isn't very tasty , so I wouldn't worry about it.  Plus the article states that the animal customs board doesn't allow toxic varieties to enter the country, but even if one did, chances it being opisonous, are pretty low.  Have fun with it:D  I Love Zoos!!!

Well put! I guess I could die if I stuck a fork in an electical socket in my room too, but im not gonna do that either. There are so many sweet looking zoo's I've found, I think I'll pick up colony of these cool looking green ones this weekend.

d.

Archived