inTank Media Baskets

Id Please

BttrFlyKzz

Hey everyone any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I have found both of the items in the pics. below attached to my yellow polyps rock... I know that I have seen a thread about one of the things but I can't seem to find it... Here is the first item. It is tall and has what I like to call a "fan" shaped tip. Its coloring is light brown and I have found several on this rock.

Next pic. I am calling it some sort of tank cactus because that is what it reminds me of. It is green and firm to touch (2 seen in pic. below). Hopefully the pic. below will help someone ID for me! If the items listed are bad or need removed please let me know... Yep I am a newbie and want to make sure I am doing this right! Thanks for all the help and expert wisdom!

agreed ... first pic looks like feather duster... fan will open and close continously.... its a filter feeder and eats phytoplankton... some grow pretty big.

second pic looks like halimeda macroalgae... also called the money plant.... i have lots growing on my live rock... it requires large amounts of calcium to flourish... thus leaching it out of your tank water... you may want to check your calcium levels regularly... if you arent dosing calcium, frequent water changes will be very important. you might want to do a google search on the stuff - pretty interesting marine plant... its dead leaves become the substrate of many coral reefs.

welcome to reefing.

Dave ESPI,

I dont know who you are...or more importantly who you think you are, but BttrFlyKzz asked two appropriate questions for an Identificaiton Forum. She is new to reefing and using the forum for its stated purpose - "What the heck is that thing? Seek identification help here!"

Your response is inappropriate and if other people on this board are afraid to tell you so... I am not. The thread is over when its over... and not when you say its over.

Asking for help with critters or plants on new live rock while first setting up a tank is a good thing and should be encouraged on this Nano-Reef.com... not discouraged. Should I feed it? If so, what kind of food? Is it a friend or foe hitchhiker?

I have read your frequently sarcastic and toxic answers and remarks to other questions but this one put me over the edge.

If Reefing 101 questions bore or irritate you, stop reading them.

I am new to this hobby myself. I was startled one morning during my first week with my first new tank when pods appeared by the hundreds throughout my cycling tank. Yes, I had read about pods in numerous articles about reefing that I researched on the internet... but I had never actually seen a pod... I posted the question, got several reassuring responses and crisis #1 with my new hobby was over... and now I know for sure what a pod is.

It is my understanding that Christopher Marks created this website to Learn, to Discover and to Discuss. Your response to this new reefer's questions doesnt promote learning or discovery and it doesnt encourage her to ask more questions in the future.

I've learned and discovered here and I am beginning to discuss. I read a reply that you posted last night recommending Marine Bettas for a nano. Apparently it was a joke... as I understand that they should not be kept in less than 50 gallon tanks and should be kept alone...but upon initially reading your reply I thought you were serious and wrote down Marine Bettas as an option for another nano I am planning. Apparently you're opinions are respected here because you are a "biological aquatic engeneer."

In my view, with that experience you need some basic human interaction skills and some patience with those of us who havent passed "Reefing 101" yet.

Peace!

Just wanted to thank you ModemMan... Since posting here I have received several rude comments like that and its really discouraging! I come here for help from the people that have more experience than I do because I figure they know best! I just wish that the more experienced reefers could remember they were new to the hobby at one point also! Thanks again for the info. and for sticking up for all the newbie nano reefers!!

First picture looks like a fanworm (micro-tiny feather duster). I have a ton of these, and they seem to be spawning. Why? Well... now they pepper the back glass of the tank... fehh.

Second one looks like Halimeda. Macro-algae, forms a calcerous skeleton, AFAIK.

Don't worry about supplimenting either, they do well all on their own.

-Sumbel.

Thanks for all the help... Since these two items are growing on my yellow polyps rock is it fine to leave them there or should they be taken off? I don't want to crowd the polpys! Thanks again!

Modem dude...

you answered the question at YOUR reply just before mine......

THREAD DONE.

as in it was well answered.... (like a billion times in many many threads)

.... Secondarily,

had you bothered to SEARCH on WHO I am, you would know to take my replies with a "grain of salt" as my scar-casm is indeed caustic.

Do yourself a favor and drop it. Nothing I like to do more than "help" people who can't be bothered to "lurk"..... then debate "my id".

flame was not the intention....

not Even to mention that this THREAD TITLE is in dirrect IGNORANCE OF REQUESTED RULES OF THIS FORUM......

ID PLEASE .... is NOT a valid title, nor does it help anyone doing a search.

derrrrrrrr ID Please..... ? NO ###### NUMBNUTS... thats why it is called THE IDENTIFICATION FORUM.

should I post ASSCAKE RECIPE PLEASE on the Emeril "BAM" forums ? as want to know what it is ?

no. that would be just stupid and redundant... SINCE there IS an ASS-/ CAKE FORUM.

As to my Marine Betta recomendation, I have kept 4 of them for 5+ years in various tanks, and they are shy and reclusive, not requiring of huge vast tank space as they are mostly "lurk and Hover" fish. YES, they do get to be 6+ inches, but their actual body mass is 80% fins and "flair" unlike many other FULL BODIED Groupers. I personaly have had 1 with a perk Clown in A FULLY ESTABLISHED MATURE 10 GALLON NANO for 3 + years and they are "best buddies" and VERY content.

DARTHBETTA, MASTERBATTA, ASSBETTA, TECHNO-BETTA, and Betta8Track are all personal favorite fish... (even though Darthbetta died last year after a 6+year stint in my 37 gallon collumn tank due to ammonia toxification in the "crash of 2001".

QUOTE: Christopher Marks created this website to Learn, to Discover and to Discuss.....

LEARN: Don't post stupid. Lesson 1

DISCOVER: how to NOT be a Reef'tard. Lesson 2

DISCUSS: How to NOT #### off the Reef GODS/MODS/REGS/ Future generations of ASSHATTS and FN'GEEKS. Lesson 3.

Again HTH.

Some of you touchey people need to thicken up......... :rolleyes:

ps: KthanxDie.

First of all we shouldn't have to search on "who you are"... I honestly could careless about that! I am just interested in this hobby and doing it right! Second of all I have seen a lot of item's titled "ID please" I see nothing wrong with that! And just remember at one time you were new to this too and I am sure you did want some smart ass making smart ass comments on your thread! So back off! All I asked for was a little help with my two items and nothing more!

Originally posted by ModemMan8

If Reefing 101 questions bore or irritate you, stop reading them.  

Agreed

Originally posted by ESPI

flame was not the intention....  

He just stated how friggin obvious those would be if he had done any research..

BttrFlyKzz

Newbie Nano Reefer

.... Grow some Hide thicker than the Potatoes you grow....

then speek to me.

i to have these little weird things on my rock and i didn't no what the is so i click the search button at the top right and i put in two words (you're dsescription)

fan

rock

into the box and pick "search in identification" forum

and i got 5 results. the third one after this thread was

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...hlight=fan+rock

i think we both and seemountain has thies fan thing

asdjfkl;sjadfklasjdfklasjdfklasjdfkljasdflasjdfl;asdfj

Archived