inTank Media Baskets

New Lion is a picky eater??

SinfulSlave

I have a fish only tank. It is home to a Red Volitan Lion fish, a panther grouper, a very smart damsel and a snail at the moment. I havent had the lion or panther very long. They are both small, averaging about 3 inches. I have kept lion fish in the past, and when feeding them, they swallowed first and asked questions later. This lion is healthy, and active... except, he only wants to eat live feeders, be it gold fish or ghost shrimp. I am trying to swtch him to frozen krill. I thaw them (ofcourse) then drop them in the tank, there is plenty of water circulation, so they ride the current and float around the tank. He has followed one once, but quickly lost interest in it as a meal. The panther eats fine. I read an article that said I should feed the lion, then with hold food for 5 days then offer the frozen krill, today is day four and he isnt interested at all.

Anyone have any tips for me to get him to eat?

Thanks!

Sin

have you tried feeding the tank frozen and live at the same time. trick the lion into eating the frozen and it should be fine.

how big is the tank? Panther groupers get huge.

LITTLEFISHEE

5 days sounds like a long time to me. I tried to switch my lionfish to frozen, he ate a peice of silverside, but he won't go near them anymore.

I let the silverside sit outside in the heat for an hour or so, then I threw it (I literally threw it so it looked like it was swimming, sort of). It just so happened to go in front of the powerhead, and that's when the lionfish grabbed it.

I will try something else soon, but I would only withhold food for 2 days.

BTW, I have read that feeder goldfish are extremely bad for them, I think it was on wetwebmedia.com.

But, I don't know if mollies are any better for them.

I too read that gold fish are bad for them, which is why I am trying to switch him to frozen krill. I havent tried feeding stick, I will give that a try too. Tossing ghost shrimp and krill into the tank at the same time seems to be a good idea, I will give that a try, then try withholding food again. When I read that I should withhold food for 5 days, I thought it was a long time too, but it was an article from a marine fish expert and the lion seems to be fine.

I will go get some ghost shrimp and try Crakeur's advice today. :)

And lets see... did I answer all the questions.. umm, it's a 110 gallon tank, and yes, I know that groupers get big, so do lions. 12 inches max for the lion and 10 fo the grouper in captivity I believe?

Thanks!

Sin

hey, a girl with the name sinfulslave, who's listed occupation is slave and has that avatar is worthy of my stalking.

besides, I need a new slave.

Sorry, missed the avatar question. No, that isnt me, the pictures of me in my collar were too low res to be used, So I cropped a favorite pic down and used it instead.

And I have no idea who dave is, just trying to make a wity remark about off's sig. :)

Second that, Crak.

BTW, that's a great pic to use in an avatar. Very alluring.

Hey Crak...check it...she's in Wisconsin...not everything from the Heartland is terrible like you seem to think!

I'm guessing student, which means she might not be from WI.

and please don't enter into my lecherous stalking with digs in a lame attempt to discredit me and move in on my potential toy.

go play with your tractor farm boy

Fix the dent in your sneaker yet, city slicker?

Good God, Crak...you've been registered since February 2002. There's great plenty of discrediting that you've done to yourself in the past 18 months listed in these threads...you don't need me to do it for you.

Ummm ... yeah. Thanks Captain Obvious.

I joined this forum because I have a new 15 gallon salt tank that I have yet to populate. I hope that will be considered a nano? I was hoping to find info on what to keep here.

The fact that my lion wouldnt eat was worrying me, so I went ahead and started this thread. I have been given great tips, I hope it wasnt wrong to post this thread... but you seem to be the only person to have a problem with it....

Sorry.

Sin

c'mon caja, we mustn't be reef snobs.

you know c-marks' rule: women drink free. :) btw remind me to buy you a round we you get up here for that PM snafu on my part. sorry about that.

sinful, what kind of res are we talkin' about? :P jk (PM me if you're not :woot: )

i'd second littlefish's rec of silversides. goldfish have the wrong combo of fats, protein, and whatchamacallits for long-term marine feed. have you tried feeder shrimp like the shorgy girls use? MTI they reproduce pretty easily and make good prey for hunters (dottyback and cowfish, in my case).

not a very good cleanup crew tho, no matter what MTI advertises. there's a red one i've been looking at too. dickie52 has some and he says his are full SW (listed as brackish) for his seahorses.

Ladies please.

Don't fight unless I have a good, front row seat.

Incidentally sin, I have a huge school of shiners (local bait food) that your lion would love. Up to 10 of them in the tank now. Just keep pulling em out of the bay.

don't feel bad about the large tank, my reef ain't so nano either. (what guy will admit to having a small one besides tiny?)

Archived