Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting for 20H?

Smokin-Reefer

Smokin-Reefer

I've recently decided that my exsisting 5g tank is a little bit too small for my liking/viewing pleasure, So I've decided to start a 20 high that I've got sitting in the basement.

I'd like to go with either 2x55 or 2x65 for this tank...possibly adding a 175 halide WAY DOWN THE LINE (ie:not any time soon,college sucks!)

so my question is....Is this light decent enough to sustain more than "softies"? could I keep plates/spawn/torch/brain with 2x55? I've found a possibility of getting the kit from ahsupply, but I was also wondering if any of you know of a cheaper place to get them?

Thank you

-daniel

MrConclusion

You can keep a lot of the LPS corals you mentioned.

IME, it's best to keep the water movement smooth (all the water in the tank moving) but not too fast, because frogspawn and torch like to spread out, and they're very soft and delicate. Most people put them in WAY too much water movement. You want the water moving at about 1/2 to 1 inch per second... clock the motion by watching bubbles or bits of food. One good method is to have a "slow" side of the tank opposite the powerheads.

ahsupply is a good source for DIY projects.

If you want something pre-made, you shoudl look at the new (and surprisingly cheap) CustomSeaLife "moon" light fixtures.

Their 24" model, with 2x65w PCs and 2x LED moon lights is only $167.95 complete! (at www.marinedepot.com) That seems like the best deal around in a pre-made hood.

Provided your water quality is good you could have Gold Maximas, Derasa clams, Monitpora and a few other select stonies as well.

I like the 2x65 from Coralife, myself.

Smokin-Reefer

the csl hood is indeed nice, if i decide to just buy an all in one unit, it is definatly the one I would choose.

If i were to make my own canopy, how much would one expect to spend just for a 2x65 retrofit kit, with bulbs..... According to the research I've done, probably right around $130....

The csl is looking better and better! lol

how much for the coralife unit?

Archived