Pod Your Reef

Ideal salinity?

twichstile

LFS say 1.022 is optimum overall. Anemones seem to need 1.024 and above

On my instant ocean dip/float tester($10) the measurements are red from 1.020-1.024 leading me to think that 1.024 was high???

lakshwadeep

1.025 (specific gravity)

LFS is wrong. But, you need to adjust for temperature if you're using a hydrometer.

prestage3ek
1.025 (specific gravity)

LFS is wrong. But, you need to adjust for temperature if you're using a hydrometer.

Isnt there a link that shows us where to do that?

My IO hydrometers have been accurate within their rated range for me; I've used them at 70-82F without the need for adjustment.

Mean surface ocean salinity is 30-31 ppt. "Ideal" is high enough for what you want to keep but not so high as to cost you $$ in salt.

I keep mine around 30 ppt or 1.023.

EDIT: Though I use NSW from a coastal estuary and the water is usually 35-40 ppt when I get it.

The area of most coral reefs is around 35 ppt, with some (Red Sea) being has high as 40ppt.

Most people suggest 35 ppt, or 1.026 SG for reef tanks. Many of the critters (including all your corals) are used to the higher SG. Most fish will do fine at the 1.022SG.

Kim

Most people suggest 35 ppt, or 1.026 SG for reef tanks. Many of the critters (including all your corals) are used to the higher SG.

Not if they come from some of the LFSs around me. They don't run their tanks that high, largly because they want to avoid salt-creep.

Not if they come from some of the LFSs around me. They don't run their tanks that high, largly because they want to avoid salt-creep.

So a few days in your local fish store, changes centuries of evolution? They are still used to the higher salinity, just because your LFS does not keep there tanks at NSW levels does not mean the critters they sell are not used to NSW.

Kim

So a few days in your local fish store, changes centuries of evolution? They are still used to the higher salinity, just because your LFS does not keep there tanks at NSW levels does not mean the critters they sell are not used to NSW.

Kim

pretty sure Mr. Fosi meant in the short-run. If you have "evolved" as a human to tolerate extremely high temperatures and then spend two weeks in alaska, you will get used to the temperature obviously. He probably is referring to the quick transition from a cheap ass lfs's salinity parameters to good parameters in your aquarium.

Anyway, it all depends on what you're trying to keep. Biologically fish will do better in lower salinity conditions because a saltwater fish is trying to keep it's osmotic balance in check by keeping salt out. Therefore it is less stressful to them to be in a lower salinity environment because theoretically they don't have to "work as hard".

Corals appreciate a higher salinity because of a higher concentration of elements, etc. All in all, there is a pretty wide range that people have success with, but reefs definitely look better towards 1.025.

So a few days in your local fish store, changes centuries of evolution?

Not sure I appreciate your tone or your assumptions.

They are still used to the higher salinity, just because your LFS does not keep there tanks at NSW levels does not mean the critters they sell are not used to NSW.

"Used to" has several meanings, as you should know and talking about "NSW" as if all natural seawater is 35 ppt or above is misleading. There are a lot of places in the world where seawater is less than 35 ppt, though perhaps not where corals form reefs.

Corals do fine in aquaria when kept at salinities lower than 35 ppt and many people use salt mixes than cost money, so why not do so?

You're usually helpful and correct, I'm not sure what happened in this thread.

I'd agree with kgross here that a salinity of 34-35 ppt should be the ideal range for tropical coral aquaria. 30-31 ppt is on the low side and tropical corals would generally be found in this salinity range as an exception rather than the rule. The most biodiverse tropical reefs are found in the PI/AU/Indonesia area...

levitus-sfc-salt-worldwide.gif

:huh: Not sure what you mean? Doesn't Matt work/research at a large aquarium?

I'm not sure either!

Yes, and ~ 34-35 ppt is what we shoot for in tropical coral tanks. We keep a bunch of Cal coast stuff and as you can see on the map the salinity here is slightly lower, 33 ppt or so is what they shoot for in those temperate tanks. Marine teleosts will handle anywhere from 12-35 ppt for extended periods just fine, as long as it stays stable.

The most biodiverse tropical reefs are found in the PI/AU/Indonesia area...

I'll concede the point about the salinity range but I still don't see a reason to run that high when lower works just as well but with less salt creep and (for those who use salt mix) less money.

Afterall, I use an MH lamp that has a spectrum very different from natural sunlight.

I noticed my corals and fish seem to have much better color when i keep the tank at about 1.026

corals open much nicer and fishes colors seem much deeper

I'll concede the point about the salinity range but I still don't see a reason to run that high when lower works just as well but with less salt creep and (for those who use salt mix) less money.

Afterall, I use an MH lamp that has a spectrum very different from natural sunlight.

You'll get salt creep from any salinity that marine animals will live in if you have a system that doesn't minimize/eliminate it.

We use salt mix by the ton, and the difference in price is negligible and justified (IMO) in order to keep the animals at their natural salinity range. How much salt are you using that you are getting a significant price savings? Even changing 50 g a month you would only be saving a couple dollars at most...

You'll get salt creep from any salinity that marine animals will live in if you have a system that doesn't minimize/eliminate it.

Sure, but I got a whole lot more when I used to run at 35 ppt.

... the difference in price is negligible and justified (IMO) in order to keep the animals at their natural salinity range.

But not to keep them in their natural light range? I guess I don't see a big difference since we manipulate all other aspects of our systems to suit ourselves.

I use NSW, so I don't use salt mix so there is no price difference for me. It would in fact be simpler if I didn't dilute it down from the 35-40 it is when I get it.

So what is/are the salinity(s) that your big systems are at?

Archived