Innovative Marine Aquariums

suggestions for a 3yr old kid's 10 gallon

blenny

I have a 10 gallon with 9 lbs live rock, ls, shrooms and some hermits. I wanted to set up this tank for my son as a "tank he can help me with" (I have a 29 gallon that I don't "need" his help with). Can anyone suggest some interesting critters/fish that would be suitable for this tank? He loves crabs, but I thought in a tank that small, if I put in a decorator crab or sally lightfoot, I wouldn't be able to add a fish without it getting eaten. Would it be too small to put a serpent star and a fish in the tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what I suggest.

10g

15lbs LS

15lbs LR

Clean up Crew

3 Astrea Snails

3 Margarita Snails

3 Cerith Snails

1 Bumble bee Snail (for looks, they do look kinda cool)

6-10 Red-legged Hermits

1 Cleaner Shrimp

As for Corals I would choose

Zooanthids

Xenia

Mushrooms

Sun Corals (if you have the proper time to feed them well)

Fish I would choose are

1 Royal Gramma or

2 Clowns or

2 Green Chromis or

1 Clown Goby and 2 Clowns (pushing it but not too much with 10 hermits)

And that would fill up the tank and make it look very lively and fun for a 3-yr old.

But I think what he really wants is to help with your tank.

Unless this is a ploy to get your wife to get two tanks...

Good luck. Dont get anything with Sweepers, your kid might grab them X)

Phish:

I would definitely NOT recommend zoos for a 3 year olds aquarium. Some are known to be toxic and could be a health hazard. 3 year olds do not always show the best judgement in regards to where they put their hands, washing said hands, and keeping said hands out of their mouths.

Everything else looks fine though.

I would recommend setting up a FW tank with some guppies. OTOH, it seems that there may be an ulterior motive, here. A nano reef for... the Kid, yeah, yeah, honey, it's for the boy...

I've always found that a boy just LOVES to use the cleaner magnet, and other than having to fish it off of the bottom when he goofs, there is not much damage that they can do. He can help you with your larger tank that way.

He said he already had a SW tank, that just needed some things, and I dont think (hope so at least) that the child will not even be able to get his hands in there, and I think that that is a No Sh*t situation (no offense intended) I also would recomend a FW tank, with Corydoras (3-4) Clown Cory's (1" long at max size) and Maybe some Neons (when the tank is ready, neon tetra are not beginner fish.

and I sincerely doubt that this guy would let his child put his hands in the tank, and it would have to be child proofed (again a No SH*T thing to say)

anglerfish, easy to care for and fun to watch. very colorful and unique as well. you can let your kid help by letting him drop in one or two ghost shrimps every 3-4 days and watching the angler hunt them. Just don't let them swallow air:) Just my $.02. HTH:D

I already have a 10 gallon nano with hermits, rock etc...so my only motive is to fill it with something fun for my son and to let him feed them. (My real motive is a 300 gallon) He won't be putting his hands in the tank and it won't be in his room (I'd hate to see what would be found in it in the morning after seeing what he puts in the dog's bowl). We already have a fw tank with neons, african frogs etc, that we've had for 5 years. I don't want to add anything else to my 29g sw tank 'cause I've got it how I want it, I just wanted to give him the oportunity to go to the LFS with my a pick out some stuff. BTW, I'm the mom, not the dad, so I'll be extra careful! The kid wants a spider, and I'm not ready for that yet, so I thought a crab would be "spider like" for him. I like the idea of a clown goby and a clownfish. Thanks for all the help. I did see a scarlet crab at the LFS, will that eat the hermits?

Originally posted by Phish

Dont get anything with Sweepers, your kid might grab them X)

Phish:

In your own post you recommend that he does not get anything with sweepers in case the kid grabs them. If you are worried about that, why would you not be worried about him touching zooanthids.

I have gone through three 3 year olds of my own, and let me tell you that they can get into anything. It would be very hard to completely child proof an aquarium - why take the chance.

I have a 10 gallon with 9 lbs live rock, ls, shrooms and some hermits. I wanted to set up this tank for my son as a "tank he can help me with"
Uh huh. In other words, YOU want another tank?

*heh*

Zoo's for a 3 year old on the bottom of a tank, are vertually unreachable, Dont you think so at least?

I thought I wouldnt have to spell everything out like this, Zoos on the bottom=unreachable.

Frogspawn with 2-6" Sweepers, thats half way up to the tank (from the bottom of a 10g) and reachable by almost any child.

I hope you understand what I am saying, and try to use more common sense about what you write. Get a mental image of what I was saying and picture the tank as well as the person that owns the tank. Do you think he is stupid or something? Do you think he dosent know what a zoo is and what effects they have? Its common sense (or should be to this guy) that Zoo's should be placed on the bottom or far from reach, plus the tank should be kept to where the child cant stick his hands in the tank. But I also know that children could get there hands in the tank (but not to the bottom where the zoo's are) if S/HE were to stand on a chair.

But also think this guy has common sense and that it will be placed high so the child cant reach inside.

**I will argue till the death of you***

an aquarium for a 3 year old I dunno does it have a childproof lid. I would not recommend sw for a 3 year old I think i understand you will be supervising. I like the idea from your stand point. I'm just familiar small children so I'm sceptical about what bad could happen

if your serious keep it simple

no corals no zoo,s no fancy lights

2 damsels and 2-3hermits and 2-3 snail

a couple pieces of live rock and maybe an emerald crab if you need a spider.

thats what I would set up for a 3 yearold

and if you want him to pick out the fish ask him to pick one out the damsels lets see all blue blue with ayellow tail black with whit dots and black and white strips

all of these fish are very hardy and territorial so don't try to add other fish and you won't need special foods just flakes

I dont actually think that this guy wants a tank for his kid, I think he just wants us to think that and his wife probably dosent want another tank, I honestly dont think this has to do with a kid (not that he may not have one)

Or maybe he is border line Retarded and wanted something 'for a 3 year old" for himself (prolly not)

When I got married, it was excuse enough since I already had a fish tank that my step daughter liked, to go ahead and set her up one. So now she has her own 10g FW tank, and she started when she was 2. :)

??? - NO ZOOS FOR KIDS!!

Cleaner shrimp - kids love them. So do most girls.

Frogspawn sweepers are harly anything to worry about... I can barely feel the sting when I touch my torch's sweeps.

Damn, dont you guys get it? ITS FOR HIM, he would have said otherwise if it wasnt. ITS NOT FOR A KID. that like people saying "my Friend has a problem" Most of the time it has nothing to do with a friend.

Archived