Cultivated Reef

external overflow questions

supermarvin76

supermarvin76

I have a tank that I am planning to drill, or have someone drill....if I can find someone. I would like an external overflow, but am sure hesitant. Just the idea makes me nervous that it will come apart. I do not undertand how the silcone alone holds the glass together, and does not require some type of support. But, that is what I really want.

I recently saw some one write this: "do yourself a favor and drill the tank and install something along the lines of a durso pipe, way better than an external overflow."

Why would this be? Please reausre me about the external overflow.

I would love to hear about people that have external overflows, even better, ones they built themselves, and how long they have been set up.

Thanks!

I have a tank that I am planning to drill, or have someone drill....if I can find someone. I would like an external overflow, but am sure hesitant. Just the idea makes me nervous that it will come apart. I do not undertand how the silcone alone holds the glass together, and does not require some type of support. But, that is what I really want.

I recently saw some one write this: "do yourself a favor and drill the tank and install something along the lines of a durso pipe, way better than an external overflow."

Why would this be? Please reausre me about the external overflow.

I would love to hear about people that have external overflows, even better, ones they built themselves, and how long they have been set up.

Thanks!

I am working on something along the same lines. Thecowkid sent me some pictures of his old minibow setup and it looks like it would work really well, I am just worried about the space it takes up behind the tank vs. inside the tank. I am pretty sure I am going to go external but we'll see in the next few days. The actual overflow box should be fine without any type of bracing. Silicone and glass can hold an amazing amount of pressure.

Archived