Coral Vue Hydros

Shrimp ID?

USFnano

I'm sorry, I don't have access to a camera to take pics(plus he stays hidden under my LR), but I have this shrimp(~1" long) that came with my live rock. The front part of it is orange and the rest is clear/whitish. It's got fairly big claws(for it's size) and it makes a clicking noise every once and a while.

Thanks,

Jon

Well, I've done some searching(yeah, I know... search first :P ) and it looks like it's some kind of pistol shrimp. Will this be ok to stay in my tank or will it cause problems down the road with what I have now, or anything I might get in the future?

Right now I have 2 pepperment shrimp, a tiger tail cucumber, and a serpent star that came with TBSaltwater's package.

Thanks,

Jon

:blink: I just saw this worm that's living under the rock with the pistol shrimp... It seems to be about 4-5" long and light pink in color. Should I worry about it?

Thanks,

Jon

*sorry about the monologue... just a little giddy about my first reef tank :woot:

No, it definately looks like a pistol shrimp, and it's the front part of it that's orange. I saw somewhere about an atlantic pistol shrimp, which I'm going to assume this is since it came on live rock from TBSaltwater and they aquaculture thier rock off the keys, but I havn't found any pictures of them.

wow, that bristle worm just came out of the rock after a shrimp pellet I put outside of the pistol shrimp's cave after I turned the light off. It just engulfed it... ??? Would this thing ever cause problems for a small fish or coral, etc. later on?

Archived