Cultivated Reef

55 Gallon Reef

Gene0514

Let the diatom bloom come and go, then start adding a few at a time. Id say around 2-3 weeks.

I still have about 10 lb of live rock, around 5-6 snails, 2 hermit crabs, and 2 small fish to transfer.

Can I transfer all the snails and hermit crabs at least as soon as the diatoms appear?

I would def transfer the rock right now, you can wait a day or two on the cuc if youd like. The fish will be fine without the rock. What type of fish are they?

I would def transfer the rock right now, you can wait a day or two on the cuc if youd like. The fish will be fine without the rock. What type of fish are they?

1 occelaris clownfish

1 yellowtail blue damsel

i added 1 snail just to try it out and it seems fine

The fish will be fine in the tank without any rocks. Let your CUC take care of the diatoms, keep up with the water changes and in about 2 weeks check your parameters, if everything is good then add the fish.

how often should I do water changes

i was planning on 5 gallons/month

oh and I forgot one thing

the rocks have corals on them, is that still ok?

Im not to sure about larger systems but weekly would be my guess, like 3-5 gallons a week Id say,

what type of lighting do you have on the 55? If it has coral I would wait a couple weeks and let the diatoms completely go away.

3-5 a week is too much

don't forget that there is a lot more water to dilute the waste in a bigger tank

I read in a couple of places and asked around and 5/month should be fine

The corals are all soft corals. Zoas and such

I am gonna have a 2 bulb T5 fixture and a 72 W PC fixture there temporarily until I get the 216W HO T5 fixture. I will keep the corals at the top until then

Hey everyone

Transfer's done!

everything went well and all the inhabitants are doing good

here are some pics

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

I have a 55g and I do 3 gallons every 2 weeks. I find that this amount keeps the softies in my system looking really nice and fluffy.

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update!!

Things are looking good in my tank. Nothing died yet (thank god)

Here are some pics

FTS

IMG_1125.jpg

Left Side

IMG_1126.jpg

Snail

IMG_1127.jpg

Clownfish!!

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Is this coralline?

IMG_1128.jpg

Is this denitrification happening?

IMG_1135.jpg

psykobowler

You are planning on changing only 5 gallons per month. You do not have adequate lighting for that tall tank. I am also guessing that you do not dose calcium. Your rocks will turn brown eventually but will not be encrusted will coralline. Your skimmer is underpowered and you are beginning to get cyano. Once you get the t5 lighting and dose calcium you'll get the coralline.

Archived